High water pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

lennyk

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a house in a neighbourhood with very high water pressure 100+psi.
A pressure reducing valve was installed and appears to work once there is water flowing,
this was tested at various settings and looking at the gauge.

However when there is no water used in the house/flowing, the pressure rises to the 100+psi.
Are PRV valves supposed to work like this or is there a problem with this valve ?

Thanks,

L

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The PRV limits pressure coming into the house. If the pressure is building from the water heater, the PRV is not at fault. Do you have a working expansion tank?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
WIth a PRV, you need a working expansion tank so the WH operation which causes the water to expand when it works, has someplace to go. If that isn't the reason for the pressure rising, then the PRV is defective and needs to be replaced or rebuilt. It could be letting pressure rise because of a bad internal seal, dirt, or other defect.

lennyk

Reaction score
yes, there is no expansion tank, should I just have one installed nearest to the cold input of the water heater ?
Also are expansion tanks the same as water pump pressure tanks ?

lennyk

Reaction score
I ran some tests tonight with a pressure gauge, both with the water heater on and off.
The heater is not the problem as the pressure creeped up to max on the gauge.
Good thing is that the mains is split into two -
one for a tank supply which feeds a pump in case water mains supply is off
and secondly into the house via the PRV.
I removed the PRV and shut off that supply, I think I am going to leave it that way and have one less
thing to go bad and just run the house off the pump supply and let the float valves in the tanks take the high pressure instead.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks