Should I caulk the back of a shower valve escutcheon?

Users who are viewing this thread

JonnyCat

Reaction score
Hi, I did some work, and am putting the escutcheon back for my shower valve (single handle PP). The foam gasket was damaged, and I am contemplating using caulk in it's place.

This is going on a tiled wall, which is of an uneven plane (grout lines, and tile not perfectly set).

Would it make sense to apply some silicone caulk as in this image:

Any suggestions as to procedure or technique would be appreciated (especially in keeping the caulk from making a big mess like it seems happens to me).

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cookie

Reaction score
No, don't put any on the back side push the escutcheon up tight against the tile and caulk from the 8PM position across the top to the 4PM position and leave it at that.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That works for me too.

If you stick the back side with Silicone, you will never get it off again.
Install the plate first, then caulk.
And not at the bottom.
Some plates even come with a notch on the bottom to let water out.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Usually that plate has to be removed on PP faucets to repair them. Therefore, only run a bead of caulk around the upper portion where water would hit it and could get behind the plate. Water cannot flow uphill so the bottom does not need to be sealed.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You could also just buy a roll of closed cell foam weatherstripping and replace the factory stuff and forget the caulk altogether.

JonnyCat

Reaction score
THanks guys, I'll go ahead and caulk on the top of the outside. Much appreciated!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks