'96 Gerber

Users who are viewing this thread

jeffdt

Reaction score
I have a '96 Gerber thats original to my powder room, home was built in '96. I don't know what the model is, inside the tank it's stamped 28790 and 1.6 i'm assuming it's a 1.6 gallon. In any case it performs very poorly, requiring 2-3 flushes, if you don't flush incrementally and try to flush once after business is done it will clog. I will replace with a Toto after x-mass recovery occurs. Inside the tank (new fluidmaster fill valve and flapper) there is a large plastic cylinder that surrounds the overflow tube. Is this cylinder how they made it a 1.6 gal flush? If I were to take a snips and cut a deep v notch maybe 4-5 inches deep down from the top of this cylinder would this allow more of the tanks water to reach the flush valve affording me a more powerful flush? Also, the water spot seems entirely to small. I need to get a few more months out of this thing.

Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First thing I'd try is to just hold the handle down until the tank is empty and see what happens. As to the water spot, unless you have a bad fill valve, or one not designed for it, the bowl is probably what it is. Take a bucket and slowly add water to the bowl. If it goes up and stays up, the fill valve isn't balanced to provide the needed bowl fill. If it never rises, or doesn't stay up, that's the way it is and nothing you can do will cause it to rise.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
I have a '96 Gerber thats original to my powder room, home was built in '96. I don't know what the model is, inside the tank it's stamped 28790 and 1.6 i'm assuming it's a 1.6 gallon. In any case it performs very poorly, requiring 2-3 flushes, if you don't flush incrementally and try to flush once after business is done it will clog. I will replace with a Toto after x-mass recovery occurs. Inside the tank (new fluidmaster fill valve and flapper) there is a large plastic cylinder that surrounds the overflow tube. Is this cylinder how they made it a 1.6 gal flush? If I were to take a snips and cut a deep v notch maybe 4-5 inches deep down from the top of this cylinder would this allow more of the tanks water to reach the flush valve affording me a more powerful flush? Also, the water spot seems entirely to small. I need to get a few more months out of this thing. There's a large national supply house not too far from me that carries Toto's at very good prices that I'll visit in a few months.

Thanks,
Jeff

That was one of Gerber's first attempts at 1.6 gal. flush. It was never that good. If you cut the bucket out you will get a better flush with a lot more water. OK for a temporary fix but suggest you replace it as soon as possible.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks