How to separate PVC pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Mntentman

Reaction score
I sawed off a portion of the PVC in the photo so I could remove a shower basin wth built-in drain. Could someone be kind enough to advise on the next steps? I am wondering if there is a way to remove the top portion of the pipe at the connector point, which would then, I am supposing, allow me to easily attach the replacement pipe. Or is there a different way to go? Thanks much.

Attachments

• plumbing2.jpg
    plumbing2.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 478

Jc60618

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
You have three options.
1. Cut that top piece of pipe as straight as possible add a coupling and extend the piece to the desired height.
2. Cut the p trap and install a new one.
3. You can attempt to cape the piece out. This is accomplished by making several cuts inside of the pipe with a hack saw and with a chisel you try to "pry'' it off. Option 1 is probably the best way to go.

Last edited:

Mntentman

Reaction score
Thanks, jc. Option 1 definitely sounds like the best route. But let me make sure I am doing it right (please excuse my lack of knowledge on this subject). This pipe appears to be 2 1/4 inches in diameter... does that sound like the right measurement? Would I get a pipe that would fit inside the piece that is cut? If there is link to a piece such as I need to get, it would be great. I am assuming it will need to be short, as the new pipe from the drain will connect to it... ? Thanks again.

Jc60618

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
All you have to get is a 2" PVC coupling and some 2'' PVC Pipe. The coupling goes over the pipe.
two_inch_pvc_coupling.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Several companies make a special bit that will ream out the pipe from the socket in that P-trap allowing you to cement in a new piece of pipe. Now, for the cost of that, you could easily cut off the whole p-trap and rebuild the section with new pvc pieces. That tool makes more sense if you have a complex fitting that you don't want to cut out. If the OD is about 2-1/4" (it's probably closer to 2-1/2"), then it's a 2" ID pipe, which is what current code requires for a shower.

PVC pipes are solvent welded together, and it is difficult to take apart. The cement literally melts the surface layer of the plastic and welds it together as the solvent evaporates. You don't take a joint apart easily, nor is it designed to come apart.

Last edited:

Mntentman

Reaction score
It's a 2-inch pipe. Got the coupler and a length of pipe, and all worked out fine. Thanks for the help.

tilelayher

Reaction score
Isn't 2" code for a stall shower? 1 1/2" for tubs only. Hense its a 2" pipe.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The job is done, but if the pipe is BIGGER than 1 7/8", it is NOT 1 1/2" pipe, and therefore it is 2" and the actual size is 2 3/8". The logic being that there is NOTHING between the two sizes and 2 1/4" is too large for 1 1/2".

Export!

DIY Member
Reaction score
Citing the measurements is an excellent way to deduce the size. What I was pointing out is assuming the size by what is required is often inaccurate.

It's like looking at an old sagging ,shingled roof and wondering how many layers there are and saying "well it's either one or two because code here doesn't allow more than two".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks