High Water Pressure Spikes on Well with Pressure Tanks

Users who are viewing this thread

RayMan

Shared Well Services
Reaction score
What would cause High Water Pressure Spiking at the house. I put a pressure gauge on the hose bib and its been on for three days now. The gauge has a needle that shows the highest water pressure reached, the first day the highest pressure was 65 psi the next day was 80 psi and today it reads 116 psi. as the highest pressure. The static pressure has remained at about 45 psi and the water pressure recovers to 42 psi with an open line in the house. There is no air in the lines.

The pressure control switch is a 30/50 psi for 5 pressure tanks and the static pressure reading on the gauge in the well house has varied, it was 48 psi then 53 psi and the highest I read was 57 psi. There is a 5HP Submersible Jacuzzi Pump in the ground. The last time the pressure tanks were inspected they wrote the psi on each tank 30, 25, 25,25,30. They are 86 gallon Proline bladder tanks.

Thank You For Any Explanation!! :confused:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Clean out the line running to the pressure switch or the pressure switch is bad.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Water hammer would cause short spikes. If the house pressure was at 116 for more than a moment or two, You would start finding leaks at supplies, and the shower would drill holes in your head.
Nix the recording gauge and just have the homeowner check a normal gauge installed inside the house somewhere. Move the "recording" gauge to the pumphouse to rule out switch issues.

Water heaters in my houses with pressure regulaters and incorporated check valves have never caused any pressure rise over2 or 3 psi.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks