New exterior receptacle in old brick wall

Users who are viewing this thread

TJanak

Reaction score
Is there a way to flush mount a box in an exterior brick wall for an outlet? I know there are masonry boxes but I honestly don't know how they mount in new construction, much less old work. This will be under a porch roof.

Thanks

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes. Just cut out a rectangular hole the size and deepness for your electrical box*, then mortar the electrical box into the hole.

New construction, use a half brick or cut a brick to the size you need. Mortar in the electrical box and wire along with the bricks.

*As to cutting the rectangular hole, I would draw the outline of the electrical box on the wall. Then using a level, I would draw lines about 1/2 inch further out from the size of the electrical box. This would be so you could "squish" mortar in around the sides of the electrical box to hold it in place.

Then I would use a "masonry blade" on a circular saw to make the first cuts. This would give you smooth lines on the edges. Carefully and just barely saw into the wall so the cuts do not go beyond the rectangular lines drawn on the wall. These cuts would not go very deep of course.

Then with masonry drill bits and a hammer drill, I would drill a bunch of holes on the inside of the lines drawn. And I would mark the deepness to drill on the drill bit by holding up the electrical box to the bit, then placing masking tape on the bit so the hole would be about 3/4 inch deeper than the box. This would allow room in the back for a romex clamp, the wire, and mortar. (And drill no deeper than the tape on the bit.)

Then I would use a straight blade on the hammer drill to chip out the rest of the rectangular hole. Or a cold chisel. The more holes you drill, the easier it will be to chip the pieces out.

Then drill a hole all the way through for the wire or whatever - run the wire.

Then install romex clamp. Leave about 8 inches of wire going out the electrical box. Then mortar it into place.

(Someone else may have a better way to do this, so stay tuned...)

Circular saw masonry blade...

circular-saw-blades-masonry.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The smaller the blade diameter, the deeper you can cut into the brick without going outside the lines for the box. A 4" or 4 1/2" angle grinder with a diamond blade is the quickest way.

alannaimee

Reaction score
Just finished this myself using a masonry bit and cold chisel as Billy Bob suggested. Probably took a bit longer than the other methods described here, but the end result is the same.

TJanak

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I need to pick up a masonry box tomorrow and get to work. There is an outlet on the other side of the wall about a foot higher but right in line so running the wire should be easy.

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
If that is in a wet area, you will be plugging in an extension cord which will go into a wet area, or you have animals in the area (dog) which might chew on an electric cord, be sure to install a GFCI outlet. (Protects people/animals from electrocution.)

(Also dogs which like to "mark their territory" on power strips, extension cords, or anything else electrical.)

And for wet areas you now need an "in use cover" like this...

200607_InUseCover_001_sz2.jpg

CodeOne

Code Enforcement
Reaction score
This is a box by arlington Ive had excellent sucess chipping out mortar and one brick and installing in the brick.

Attachments

• newbrick2.jpg
    newbrick2.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 20,957

CodeOne

Code Enforcement
Reaction score
Your finished product would look like this

Attachments

• DBHB1C-on-brick_300.jpg
    DBHB1C-on-brick_300.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 17,785
Reaction score
Hey all, I really hate to revive a super old thread, but it was most relevant to what I'm working on. I need to flush set an electrical box in my exterior brick façade. It'll be used to hold a 14" light that will weigh about 7-8 lbs. If I use mortar to set the box, does it really need to be a round/octagonal box or can it be a rectangular box? The reason I ask is that it's way easier to remove a half brick to set a rectangular box than it is to span several bricks to set a round/octagonal box. I want to do it correctly and would like your advise! Thanks in advance.

Stuff

Reaction score
Round is the right way but is generally allowed to use a rectangular switch box. Lots of times the rectangular box will cause mounting problems for the fixture you choose.

Technically if over 6 lbs you are supposed to use a box that is marked for the maximum weight of a supported lamp. I don't think there is any code that states the actual shape of the box, only that it is designed for the task.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks