Running a gas line to fireplace

Users who are viewing this thread

theBigSee

DIY Member
Reaction score
There's a gas line that runs through the attic no more than 6 feet from my chimney (single-story home). I'd like to run a gas line to the fireplace, which as far as I could tell would entail putting a tee into that gas line, running a pipe towards the chimney, then down through the wall along the chimney, then a valve, then into the fireplace. That's about 20' or so with 2 turns, and the wall is panelling which I can easily remove and replace.

I'm a major DIY'er but I leave the potentially fatal stuff to the pros. I just got a quote from a licensed plumber who said it would cost $600 -- and I would have to hire someone else to drill a hole through the chimney!

I have to say, I was really shocked. Granted, it's working in a stuffy confined attic for a few hours, but it just seems so straightforward, routine and simple to do -- is his quote reasonable? I was expecting like $300 or so.

Last edited:

Jeff1

Reaction score
Based on my experience, its reasonable. I had a similar length run for gas and water and got bids from $1000 - $2000.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A lot of people would unthread the pipe from one side, make the cut, thread it, then reassemble from the end again.
I used to do a bit of gas piping, but it was never my favorite thing to do.

When he is done, he will need to re light the other appliances too.
If he's pulling a permit, there is the time for that, the inspection, and then making it live afterwards.

It can involve a few steps.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is more to it than you think. The valve has to be the correct one, and its location is specified in your plumbing code. I may only take $600.00, but if I were giving you a set price, it would be more than that in case I ran into unforeseen problems. Just cutting and threading the line in the attic is not a picnic.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks