Use of combo fitting

Users who are viewing this thread

AKantler

Reaction score
Hi guys/gals,

Another quick question....is it okay to use a combo for our bathroom lav 2" to go into the vertical 4" stack. I see most folks use a santee when entering the vertical stack. We've already dry fit ours with a combo....is that okay?

Thanks in advance!

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
No, use a santee. By using a combo your making a full S trap because the vent will be below the seal of the trap. That is also the reason why there are limits to the length of the waste arm because the pitch of the pipe would also put the vent below the trap seal.

John

AKantler

Reaction score
So this won't work...
IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_1205.jpg

:(

AKantler

Reaction score
I don't know....? Does it have to be higher than the highest fixture? Or just 6" greater than the flood line of the fixture it's venting?

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Are you talking about strictly venting? Which fitting are you talking about?

AKantler

Reaction score
I'm talking about the 4" to 2" fitting that is draining the sink into the main stack.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
6" greater than the flood line of the fixture it's venting?

Yes, if it's venting the shower pan, you're okay.

Since you have a vent on the lav line, it doesn't matter if you use a santee or a combo on the stack.
It's not being vented there.
If you had trap armed from the stack, it would need to be a santee.

I would still check with your inspector there in Anchorage and see if he allows santees on their back for venting.
Here in Seattle, we now need to use combo's or wye fittings.

Last edited:

AKantler

Reaction score
Terry...I did call the city plumbing inspector, and he did say they use combos rather than T's on their back...

Thanks guys for all the advice!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks