Hot water - Washer/Dryer problem...?

Users who are viewing this thread

kissiffer4

Reaction score
Hi,

Have an issue with hot water and and any help really appreciated.

We had a problem with our hot water whereby the hot would turn cold very quickly in the our two baths - one downstairs and one upstairs. It would stay hot for a minute or two then run cold. Turning off the faucet for half a minute and back on again would result in more hot water only to run cold within a minute or so.

We finally managed to diagnose this by turning off the MAIN cold water line for all of the apartments and running the cold water faucet in the bathroom...bizarrely cold water was still coming through.

Thought this was odd, even though the cold water line had been turned off in the basement. So looking in the basement, we then noticed a seperate 3/4 inch pipe that we discovered fed our washer/dryer unit only.

The plumber told us that the hot water running cold problem was most likely due to faulty check valves on the washer.

Does that sound like a viable diagnosis for why the hot water could be turning cold so quickly in our bathroom faucets? If so, can we get these replaced or is it better to just purchase a new washer/dryer stackable unit? This one I think is about 14 years old.

Thanks all :)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It could the the washing machine, but it could be nearly any single handle water valve in the complex whose cartridge is worn out or defective. For safety, it's a very good idea to shut the water off to the WM when not using it. Those hoses are known to break down eventually, and a leak there could be quite expensive.

Gellfex

Reaction score
It could the the washing machine, but it could be nearly any single handle water valve in the complex whose cartridge is worn out or defective. For safety, it's a very good idea to shut the water off to the WM when not using it. Those hoses are known to break down eventually, and a leak there could be quite expensive.

I installed this automatic safety valve in my 2nd fl washer setup. I'm always surprised when professionals have never heard of it. Maybe it's because the damn thing has doubled in price sicen I bought it 7 years ago! But its a great way to insure you never see water running down the stairs. I also placed there washer in a drained mud & tile shower pan.

The Watts IntelliFlow Automatic No. 2 (A2C-M) is equipped with a state of the art electric current sensing device. When the washer is turned on, the device senses the current flow to the washer and opens the valves.

Upon completion of the full wash cycle when the washer shuts off, the device will sense the lack of current and close the water valves. Such automatic operation protects against a water damage repair situation should a washing machine inlet hose burst while the machine is unattended.

When the shut-off valves are left on, the constant water pressure can cause hose fatigue. This can increase the potential for leakage or a burst hose.

For added protection the leak sensor will sense any leaks during the wash cycle and automatically shut off the water valves to prevent flooding & potential water damage if a leak occurs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks