Change Vanity Plumbing:

Users who are viewing this thread

oldberkeley

Reaction score
Replacing old vanity, need to move the plumbing about 18" to the left (blue tape.)

I'm OK with the hot & cold supply, seems to be fairly straightforward. Not sure what to do about the drain?????

TIA.

Attachments

• plumbing photo.JPG
    plumbing photo.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,001

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Cut the tee out, and point the new tee toward the blue tape.
Then point it out the wall with a Medium 90

If the pipe is 1.5" it should be fairly easy.
If it's 1.25", it will be harder to find pipe and fittings.

If it's over a crawl, you can find a 1.5" pipe or larger to connect to.

lav_rough_1.jpg

Last edited:

oldberkeley

Reaction score
Terry-

Thanks for your prompt answer, as usual. Yes, it's 1.5".

Followed you great up to "cut the tee out"!:)

1. What kind of new tee can I use for the replacement?

2. What kind of pipe will I use for the run over?

Export-

Yes, fairly spacious and easy to work in crawl under the bathroom.

Jc60618

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
The company that I work for still uses this galvanized pipe set up. The vent bar and stack fitting with the shower arm already comes pre-fabed from the shop. Before cutting the tee out try to see if you can spin the tee. Figure out the size of the branch and buy a 2 feet piece of gal pipe. Insert the pipe into the branch get it snug and then turn it clockwise to the desired position. I always encouter this situation when working on rehabs and it never fails.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I'm with Terry- cut the tee and a few inches of pipe top and bottom. Transition the galvanized to new PVC pipe and sani-tee with shielded no-hub couplings. Run new 1.5" PVC properly pitched and turned out to the new stub-out then finish with a trap adapter.

oldberkeley

Reaction score
Couple more questions:

1. When I cut out the old cast iron tee from the long vertical run of galvanized drain pipe and replace it with a PVC tee and two no-hub couplings, is there some additional support needed? What?

2. When I run the new horizontal length of PVC and turn it out with a 90 degree fitting, how is that fitting supported behind the wall?

TIA.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Turn the tee and screw a piece of galvanized, or PVC/ABS with a threaded adapter into it. Regardless of how long it has been installed, it will turn. Either use a large pipe wrench, or a piece of pipe screwed into the opening. Drill a hole in the stud and that will support the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks