What do you think? Lav and Shower waste and vents

Users who are viewing this thread

AKantler

Reaction score
Okay...I've been impressed at all the helpful information on this forum. My husband and I are DIYers and are building our own home. It's a timber frame which makes plumbing a real pain with all the beams in the way. This is our first floor bathroom. The vent and drain line are running horizontal to our vertical plumbing chase that extends all three stories. Nothing is put together yet, we want feedback. We are sure if we have the right fittings in the right places...(I am aware that the drain has a break in it right now too)

Any suggestions... things that must be changed. We are in Anchorage and have found some difficulty finding local code rules.

IMG_1208copy.jpg

IMG_1212copy.jpg

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of the double san tee on the lav drain because if you have to snake the drain through the sink the cable has a tendency to shoot right across instead of going down.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Is that shower drain 1-1/2"? The vent can be 1-1/2" but the drain must be 2".

John

AKantler

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of the double san tee on the lav drain because if you have to snake the drain through the sink the cable has a tendency to shoot right across instead of going down.

Is there a different fitting, or are you a fan of different overall setup?

The shower drain and vent are 2"

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You would normally use a fixture cross between two lavs, not a double santee.
The trap arms can be 1.5"
The p-traps will be 1.5" anyway.

UPC now requires a combo on the shower vent.
Years ago, they let you use a santee for the vent there.

[video=youtube;usdLvw1Z8CQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usdLvw1Z8CQ[/video]

Last edited:

Marty53

Reaction score
What about putting a cleanout right below the fixture cross. Thats how I setup my master bath, as per a pixture terry had up of a similar setup.

AKantler

Reaction score
Terry, where else does code enforce a combo be used for venting? Thanks...Jill

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think a call to the permit center is in order to find out what code you are under.
I just gave a call to my plumbing supplier in Anchorage, but they didn't know either.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you are with in the city limits, the city should be able to help out, if out side of the city limits... then you could use them as a guide.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks