Ruud Heat Pump Water Heater HP50RU vs Ruud Pacemaker PE2-52-2 Feedback needed

Users who are viewing this thread

S30trbo

Reaction score
Does anyone have this installed? I read they are fairly new according to Ruud's website. The annual operational costs are $234, first hour rating on energy saver mode is 67 and normal is 72 with a 2.0 energy factor. 10 year limited tank and parts warranty. My local Rheem/Ruud reseller can install it for $2375.

For the non-heat pump water heater he has a good price on the Ruud Pacemaker PE2-52-2 with annual operational costs $514, first hour rating of 67, and 0.91 energy factor. 6 year limited tank and parts warranty. Installed by the same reseller for $825.

It's nearly 3 times the cost as a traditional water heater but the annual operational costs are half of what the regular water heater is.

What should I go with? ughhh

Thanks,
Joe

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you like a long shower or have multiple people taking a shower one after the other, 67gallons might give you 1/2-hour of total running time before you end up with a cold one. And, throughout the second half of that, you might be turning the hot up to keep it warm. That's not very much supply, but may be sufficient if you are frugal. You certainly wouldn't want to be running the dishwasher or a washing machine with warm or hot at the same time. It would be hard pressed to fill a soaking tub, but might, depending on the size and how hot you run it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF the operating costs are accurate, (I always take them with a grain of salt), and the heaters last 10 years, the operating costs and installation for the conventional one will be approximately $5,800, while the heat pump would be about $4,700. If it fails between 6 and 10 years, then you would have to pay for the new tank type, but the factory would replace the heat pump, although you would have to pay labor and parts for either one. Dollar wise, using their possibly skewed numbers, the heat pump might be the better buy, but whether it is the better HEATER, is subject to debate.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks