Flushmate run-on

Users who are viewing this thread

notaplumber

Reaction score
A couple of years back I replaced a toilet with a Crane Economizer. I have not had any problems until now... Now when I flush I have to 'jiggle' at it for quite some while to get it to catch and re-pressurize. I have read manuals and what little I can find on the net.

This is what I have tried so far:
o check water pressure by seeing if you can fill a 1 gal jug in 30 seconds.
(water pressure fine... fills easily in 10-15 seconds)

o check inlet screen for clogging
(nothing there)

o remove cartridge and check the O rings.
(cartridge seems fine. However, this has been going on for a couple of weeks now and in desparation I bought a new cartridge... New and old seem to both have the same problem)

o adjust cartridge by screwing in 1/8 a turn at a time and waiting for it to catch.
(while this works fine for the first flush. Subsequent flushes are back to square one.)

Is there a trick to adjusting these things? Is there some hidden magic or some achillies heel that makes them run on?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Like anything which has rubber parts, power-assisted toilets occasionally need to be repaired. If the Crane uses the SLoan Flushmate, go to www.flushmateparts.com for troubleshooting and parts supply.

notaplumber

Reaction score
well... I already tried troubleshooting from the flushmate site and I already replaced the parts... now what?

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Contact Customer Service

notaplumber said:
well... I already tried troubleshooting from the flushmate site and I already replaced the parts... now what?

Contact Customer Service. I did this 4 weeks ago for a client of mine, it turned out that the Flushmate vessel was a factory defect, (it worked fine for 5 years). They shipped a complete new pressure vessel to the customers house in three days at no cost whatsoever, I returned and installed the unit.
Have the model and serial numbers ready before you call.

A

AJ Reynolds

notaplumber said:
...I have to 'jiggle' at it for quite some while to get it to catch and re-pressurize...

This typically means that the problem is relative to the handle / linkage interface and not the Flushmate itself. The handle / rod is probably binding up and preventing the cartridge from re-seating after the flush. Crane had a problem in the past with their handles and modified the locknut to provide a tighter fit. They should be willing to send you a replacement if you explain that the problem seems to be with the handle, and not the Flushmate. You can reach Crane’s customer Care at 800-877-6678.

...this has been going on for a couple of weeks now and in desparation I bought a new cartridge... New and old seem to both have the same problem...

Again, this indicates a high likelihood that factors beyond the Flushmate are involved, the handle / linkage being the most probable. To confirm this, disengage the flushrod from the handle and move it out of the way. Flush the toilet by pushing down on the top of the cartridge. If the cartridge is properly installed, you should get a forceful flush and the system should re-pressurize in 30 to 60 seconds. The refill time depends on your water pressure.

...adjust cartridge by screwing in 1/8 a turn at a time and waiting for it to catch (while this works fine for the first flush. Subsequent flushes are back to square one.)...

It's important to understand that the flush-valve cartridge doesn't have a "positive" stop, meaning that there is nothing to catch. This is intentional as the system is designed to work within a pressure range of 20 to 120 PSI, and the valve must be adjustable to accommodate the inconsistencies found from site to site.

...Is there a trick to adjusting these things? Is there some hidden magic or some Achilles heel that makes them run on?

To properly install the cartridge, insert the cartridge into the Flushmate tank and thread it clockwise into place until one (1) black thread (on the Flushmate tank) is showing above the cartridge. If it's already installed, unscrew it until only one (1) black thread is exposed. Fully open the water supply valve and slowly thread the cartridge clockwise 1/4 turn at a time, pausing briefly between each 1/4 turn, until the water stops running into the toilet bowl and the Flushmate tank pressurizes. Basically, you should listen for the sound of the running water to taper off as it does when a working Flushmate is nearing the end of the refill cycle and reaching its internal equilibrium.

Once you've reached this point, loosen the set-screw in the center of the actuator cap (on top of the cartridge) and adjust the actuator cap to provide approximately 1/8†clearance between the cap and the flushrod. Turn the cap clockwise to lower it (increasing the clearance) and counter-clockwise to raise it (reducing the clearance). As log as your handle and rod are properly mounted and there's no slop in either, the run-on condition will be eliminated.

If you notice the handle getting loose, tighten up the locknut to avoid any further problems.

If you haven't registered your Flushmate(s) with their Consumer Services Department, I suggest you do so. You can contact them by phone at 800-533-3460 or register online.

Based on the serial number, they can inform you of any improvements that may have been made since yours was built and provide any technical information you may need.

Hope this helps! :)

AJ

k-3505-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

notaplumber

Reaction score
flushmate run-on followup

and the winning advice goes to e-plumber. This, of course, made Mrs. Notaplumber jab me in the ribs and say "I told you so" as she had told me that already.

Flushmate did not send a replacement pressure vessel, but a "duckbill". This is probably a 10 cent rubber part that regulates the amount of air induced into the system. 30 seconds to replace it and it works like new. The old one looked like it had been dropped in a vat of battery acid. A note with the new part said the original parts were found to be unfriendly with chemicals found in the water supply and that the newer parts were less prone to wear.

Thanks for the replies.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks