basement plumbing help

Users who are viewing this thread

mazzonetv

Reaction score
A month or so ago I moved my washing machine from my basement to my top floor and everything came out great.

I am now thinking of putting in a sink and toilet in the basement where the washing machine was. Unfortunately, I thought this would be much easier until I found the "vent" for the washing machine going into the ceiling wasn't connected to anything - the previous plumber just faked it to pass inspection. I've attached a sketch of what I want to do in the basement. Unfortunately the main stack is located behind the wall in my tenants apartment and I can't start breaking up his finished floor or walls in his apartment - don't mind breaking anything on my side. Coming out of the floor where the washing machine is connected, there is a 3" PVC pipe with a red fitting on it to accept the 2" drain for the washing machine coming down from the top floor. I am assuming that the 3" pvc runs to the 4" drain somewhere beneath my slab - the wife is going to love me with all the concrete breaking about to happen. In any case, since I can't run a vent to the roof now - not without breaking up a TON of stuff - I was hoping I could use an AAV. If someone could look at my awful drawing and offer any suggestions I would be very appreciative. I am assuming of course that under no circumstances can I run a vent out of the side of my hosue??

Thank you!!! Love this Forum - been reading for years first time posting - a ton of good info here!
Matt

Attachments

• basement plumbing sketch.jpg
    basement plumbing sketch.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 391

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
. I am assuming of course that under no circumstances can I run a vent out of the side of my hosue??
Why not? The pipe going to the exterior of the house needs to go out on a 45 degree angle and minimum 3" diameter. Run it up the side of the house to the roof line and your good to go

mazzonetv

Reaction score
Really not crazy about the look of a 3" PVC pipe running up the outside of my house. I know here in NY I've seen plumbing vents coming out the side of the building, but have no clue what the codes were or are regarding that - I'll have to check with a local plumber or building inspector. What about using the AAV? Would that be OK ? In either case - if I do the work myself or hire a plumber just want to make sure it is done right..

Thank you!

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Local codes here allow you to terminate with a sidewall vent but you must be 10' minimum above grade and not below an open soffit or operable window.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Also consider that the vent line can be run through a different wall in the house- it does not have to be the wall right at the fixture.

mazzonetv

Reaction score
Thank you for the info. After looking at this again last night I am going to run a 2" vent from the basement up to the attic - found a pretty good spot to do it - only have to break up two walls - one of them the wife wants painted anyway =)

After doing a little more research it looks like I should vent the toilet however - which I did not include in my sketch. Assuming I use a 3x2 wye under the flange - or a heel fitting - and run the 2" into the wall cavity and tie the 1-1/2" vent from the sink into that - will that be ok. I'll then run the 2" up 2 stories into the attic and either go through the roof with a new 3" vent or tie into my existing vent in the attic.

Thank you all!!!

mazzonetv

Reaction score
Would it make more sense to do it this way. Your help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• basement plumbing sketch 2.jpg
    basement plumbing sketch 2.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 314

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
What's the extra 3" all the way to the right.

I would run the 3" to the closet flange. Branch off of that 3" with a 2" to the sink. 2" vent up from the sink.

mazzonetv

Reaction score
The extra 3" to the right is where my old washing machine was hooked up to. It is now picking up the washing machine from the top floor - so it is still in use. The toal span from where that 3" comes up through the floor to where the vanity will be is about 10'.

Thank you for such a quick reply...

Matt

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks