How to hang new submersible in old jet pump well

Users who are viewing this thread

electromechanical

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I live in an area where I can do plumbing work via a 'homeowner's privilege' rule as long as it passes inspection. The house and well date from 1955 and I became the second owner a few years ago. As far as I can tell there has always been a jet pump with pressure tank. This fixer-upper house is only 950 sq. ft. but I plan to add a second story to it, which will with modifications make it about 1600 sq. ft. Since when the jet pump runs it sounds like you're inside a drum I want to switch to a submersible. This post is only phase one of my request for information, mainly how to hang a new pump if I choose to do the work.
Phase two (probably in a different forum) will be : the property also has a stream running through it, about 75 feet from the house. Since the heating unit is trashed as well I will be installing a water source (aka 'pump and dump', ok'd by DNR) geothermal heat pump to heat the total 1600 sq. ft. Much of the work will be done by subs (especially the HVAC) but I want to be as well informed as possible before undertaking this big project. Since this is all preliminary there are no tons calculation yet, nor have I finalized my projected water demands so I can't answer any questions about GPM. I have attached drawings of the current jet piping situation, my projected submersible situation, and a well drilling document. Please comment. (Anyone who wishes to contact me off-list is more than welcome to do so.)
The ejector is down the well, hence the two pipes in the drawing.

Thanks!

ps - the second and third image are of the current jet pump piping

Attachments

• Submersible pump side view Jpeg.JPG
    Submersible pump side view Jpeg.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 452
  • Top View Well Jet Pump Jpeg.JPG
    Top View Well Jet Pump Jpeg.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 426
  • Side View Well Jet Pump Jpeg.jpg
    Side View Well Jet Pump Jpeg.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 438
  • 90 degree copy of Well Construction Document low res Jpeg.jpg
    90 degree copy of Well Construction Document low res Jpeg.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
First you have to get both pipes and the jet assembly out of the well. Then you need to install a Submersible similar to this drawing.

Attachments

• pSide-kick-Sub-Horizontal.jpg
    pSide-kick-Sub-Horizontal.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 535

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You don't want an elbow in the well where it turns towards the house. Use a pitless adapter so the pump can be serviced without digging up the pipe.

I'm curious, where did you get that well construction record?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks