Pressure regulator drifts up during night - What to do??

Users who are viewing this thread

GoshenPlumber

Reaction score
I have a pressure regulator (Watts 25AUB-Z3) in a pit downstream of the water meter at the edge of my property. See the diagram below. The regulator is set so that the incoming pressure in the house as measured on a gauge in my basement is approximately 45 PSI. I recently noticed that over night, the pressure increases to about 70 PSI by the morning. I also notice that in the morning, if I open the cold water tap, the excess pressure is relieved in about 10-15 seconds, and the system returns to the set pressure of approximately 45 PSI.

What causes this drift upward? How can I tell if this drift is caused by a failing regulator, dirt/debris on the regulator seat, or thermal expansion from the hot water tank? If the problem is thermal expansion, does this mean that either the check valve or expansion tank needs to be replaced? If so, how do I determine which one?

I would appreciate recommendations on what I should do to solve this problem.

==> Water ==> Pressure == 120' to ==> Gage in ==> Check ==> Expansion ==> Cold water lines
meter regulator house basement valve tank ==> Hot water tank ==> Hot water
lines

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The PRV or the Expansion tank has failed...I would check the expansion tank first...it sounds like that may be the culprit...the expansion tank should be set with air pressure set to the same or 1-2#s less than the water pressure setting...check it after shutting the waterto the home off and opening a faucet and removing all water pressure...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks