Recessed 1.5" Nipple Removal?

Users who are viewing this thread

theBigSee

DIY Member
Reaction score
I'm replacing my bathtub and the drain line has a 50-year-old 1.5" galvanized nipple coming out of cast-iron that I need to remove. Problem is, the nipple is in a16" diameter pit and completely below the level of the foundation (I'm on a slab) and I can't get a good grab it with a pipe wrench.

Any suggestions on how to get ahold of that pipe so I can twist it out?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If all that galvanized pipe is underground, when you grab and twist it it may cause untold problems in places you can't see right now...I would be very careful...post a pic so we can see more...

theBigSee

DIY Member
Reaction score
The galvanized is not underground -- the cast iron is. All the underground lines are cast iron.

The galvanized was not buried, but in a pit, with the cast-iron at the bottom. I'm not worried about the cast-iron stuff, I've already removed 2 identical nipples from sink trap areas and with good leverage and a couple doses of P'Blaster, they twisted off smoothly without incident. Problem is, I can't fit a wrench into the pit.

I've seen a wrench called a Perfecto Right-Angle Wrench that would probably take care of it easily, but I don't want to spend $250 on a tool I'll use once in my life. Next step is I'll probably try this thing from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97073

I'll put my breaker bar on a socket extension and give it a big pull and see what happens. I'll update if success occurs!

Bpetey

Reaction score
The longer the extesion, the harder it will be to get out. the extension will flex/twist a little. Can you bust out a bit of concrete to get more room for a wrench?

Last edited:

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
They make an internal wrench for removing pipe. I just bought one for around $20. It gets inserted into the pipe and a bolt is tightened that tightens internal fingers/blades against the inside wall of the fitting. You then turn a large hex on the outside of the tool to remove (or install) the fitting. Mine is for 1/2 inch brass pipe nipple but they make them for larger pipe too.

Try this link: http://www.**************.com/Prod/...-Nipple-Extractor-1-2-capacity/59514/Cat/1022

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks