how to refill and hot water system

Users who are viewing this thread

chuckdiy

Reaction score
I have a pumped hot water monoflow system with 8 convector radiators. I'll be draining the system so that I can move some of the existing pipes around. Draining the system seems pretty straight-forward to me (but if anyone has any tips, I would certainly appreciate them). However, I don't know what the process is for refilling the system? How to I make sure all of the air is out. Can someone help?

I'm thinking that I would just open the bleeders on each of the convectors then start to put water into the system. Then just wait until each of the bleeders spews water. Is that effective? There is an Air Scoop on the system, but I don't know how much air it is designed to remove. I should mention that I don't think the expansion tank has a bladder in it (old style)....it's a system that was done in 1960. Do I have to do anything with the Air Scoop during the process?

Any and all help is much appreciated!

Last edited:

chuckdiy

Reaction score
Thanks. One follow-up. Do I have to emty the expansion tank during (or before) this refill process?

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
No you don't have to empty the tank but as long as you have the system down it would be a good time to drain it. It should be done yearly.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks