In Wall Horizontal Pipe Runs

Users who are viewing this thread

jasonal119

Reaction score
I am in the process of finishing my basement and have a strange question. When you are running pipe horizontally within the walls (notched or through holes) which pipe runs above the other? Is the hot pipe on the top or the bottom?

Also another (similar question)... in this basement I have an existing stack which was installed during construction for the half bathroom. The builder placed a saniary tee at the height for a sink drain and then capped it off. This stack sits between the bathroom and where a wet bar will be. I want to use that stack (2" stack w/ 1 1/2" stub) to drain both of the sinks. Can I run the pipes between the two sinks with another tee in the middle and connect the combined waste into the existing san tee? The sinks would both be in 1 1/2" PVC.

Thanks for the help!

Jason

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
There isn't any code that says which water pipe should be on top or the bottom. Good plumbing practice is to run both pipes as to not cross them. In other words, where ever possible, do not cross one pipe in front of the other.

Your second question is =no
Each fixture should be individually vented and separately trapped

jasonal119

Reaction score
Thank you all for your help... Is there a "standard" for the height of the pipes in the wall? (The actual runs, not the connections for the fixtures which do have a typical height)

Jason

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Thank you all for your help... Is there a "standard" for the height of the pipes in the wall? (The actual runs, not the connections for the fixtures which do have a typical height)

Jason

Shortest route possible.

You're over thinking this.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If you go with pex you can just throw it any witch way and no one will care ;)

Lightwave

Reaction score

Don't place them 14" from the floor unless you're sure you're never going to put an electrical outlet in the wall.

Don't place them 48" from the floor unless you're sure you're never going to put a light switch in the wall.

Keep hot and cold pipes far enough apart that they can be insulated separately.

Insulate all supply pipes that run above wiring or electrical boxes.

Avoid running pipes in outside walls above frost depth unless you have no other option.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IN the "old days" when piping was exposed, we ran the cold on top so that if someone leaned on them they would not get burned by the hot water pipe. WHat you want to do is possible, but the real factor is HOW you do it. That would determine whether it was correct or not.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
IN the "old days" when piping was exposed, we ran the cold on top so that if someone leaned on them they would not get burned by the hot water pipe.

Pipes not in walls?
Okay, was that before they moved toilets inside?

Okay, I guess when I go into Seattle and see the old galvanzed pipes hanging in the basements you would worry about people leaning on the pipes.
I started off when copper was in vogue.
And we drilled studs and nail plated.

I was glad I didn't have to thread pipe all day, though I did do a bit of gas piping.

If I'm picket fencing the pipes, I set a 2x4 on the bottom stud with the 3.5" high side up and mark the studs.
This way I could just throw a tee in for the water closet. (toilet)
I then mark the top holes so it clears the lav stub out.
But really, anywhere in the wall will work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks