Check Valve Problem - I think?

Users who are viewing this thread

lbk

Reaction score
I installed a high quality check valve near the base of my sump pump - its not one of those flapper check valves. It worked perfectly. Really quite, no backflow at all. Then, I installed a battery backup pump and I used the same style check valve near the base of that pump. Now, when the main pump shuts off, its like I have no check valves at all. The whole system gurgles and you hear water and air moving back through the pipes. I tried multiple positions for the check valves, and nothing helps at all. If I disconnect the battery back up and plug the pipe, everything is fine - no noise at all.

What could cause this. Its not a faulty check valve, because I've tried several of them and it makes no difference. Any ideas on this?

Thanks.

bobber33

Reaction score
I installed a high quality check valve near the base of my sump pump - its not one of those flapper check valves. It worked perfectly. Really quite, no backflow at all. Then, I installed a battery backup pump and I used the same style check valve near the base of that pump. Now, when the main pump shuts off, its like I have no check valves at all. The whole system gurgles and you hear water and air moving back through the pipes. I tried multiple positions for the check valves, and nothing helps at all. If I disconnect the battery back up and plug the pipe, everything is fine - no noise at all.

What could cause this. Its not a faulty check valve, because I've tried several of them and it makes no difference. Any ideas on this?

Thanks.

I have the same problem. Did you drill in a small hole in the discharge pipe just above the main pump and below the check valve. I did and that still didn't help. Wonder if you need another hole on the backup pump?

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Do a search for Zoeller sump pump installation diagram. Find it in PDF. The check valves should be designed for sump pumps and above the basin. The 3/16 hole should be drilled about even with the pumps "top", and kept open.

Describe this high quality check valve you have. Take a look at Dean Bennet supply for a good look at a Zoeller check valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks