Pumping pond water

Users who are viewing this thread

Gabety

Reaction score
I have a camp with cabin and pond. I have utility power. I don't have water. I wish to use the water from my pond for non drinking purposes. Cleaning fish and game, washing hands etc. I would like to draw water from the pond for that purpose during the non freezing seasons. I am mostly starting from scratch with no real knowledge of this.

The water source is a typical Southeastern Illinois farm pond. Moss and algae growth is controled to keep it "clear" for lack of better term. Now how do I pump water from the pond to a cabin about 130 feet away?

I thought an intake pipe could be on a float and anchored to keep it from drifting a few feet from the pond dam then extended below the surface as much as practical. Perhaps 6 feet below maximum. Pond level will drop a couple of feet during July/August.

The level at the cabin end I woulde estimate about to be no more than 8 feet higher than pond level. The ground in between drops from the pond several feet to then gently rise to the cabin.

I have several questions. What type of pump? Does the pump go as close to the water source as possible (like on the pond dam)? Do you need some type of filter or screen to protect the pump from suspended debris and plant life in the pond? How about a pressure tank and it's location? I intend to lay my line that outputs from the tank across the gound. As I said it will only be there during non freezing season.

I know just enough to cause my self many problems and likely waste money because of it. Get me started here can you?

Tony Y.

Reaction score
Pumping pond water, from experience

I'm actually familiar with this scenario from a shallow lake standpoint. Here's what we do. Our cabin is about 9 vertical feet from the lake, 50 or so horizontal feet. My dad came up with the idea years ago to put a galvanized steel ring available at lawn and tractor retailers, 2 feet in diameter (2 or more 12 "' sections depending on the depth of the water) with 1'' holes drilled around all sides. He then wrapped the rings first in landscape cloth then that surounded by 1/4 mesh wire to keep the larger debris out. Inside the ring we installed a simple sump pump (line the bottom of the ring with brickes to keep it off the bottom of the lake/pond) and you should generally have silt free/weed free water. Intall plastic black pipe underground up to your cabin or simply hook a garden hose up the the sump pump or a combination of both. Electrical hook-up is alway a bit tricky depending on far out into the pond you install the galvanized ring/sump pump. the pumps electrical cord is long enough in our case to reach the shore of our cabin at which point we just use an extension cord to a switched/GFCI electrical outlet in the cabin to turn the pump on and off.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
A customer of mine was using water out of a river that was about 75 feet from his cabin.

When he first started it was a little generator down on the river bank to run a trash pump in a 5 gallon bucket that would set on the river bottum.. hose run from it to the 120 gallon tank under the cabin, then a little jet pump to pull water out of the 120 tank, push it through a slim line filter and into the cabin.. it worked for years.. just had to keep an eye on the water level in the tank,, get down to the lower 1/4 and time to start the gen, pump some water from the river to the tank..

Now he is working on changing things to be more along the lines of the steel ring deal.. he used plastic ring, about 4' across and this summer will be changing to a pump and small pressure tank so that all is on auto....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks