Making a Flowise? - Bricking the Cadet 3 from 1.6 gpf down to 1.28

Users who are viewing this thread

RickS

Journeyman Industrial Instrumentation and Combusti
Reaction score
Hello all, new member here!

I am considering the Cadet 3 as my least-cost option to get a toilet that swallows my son's mega-logs and is fairly immune to skid marks and bacterial growth.

My question is, can I put a brick in the tank to make it into a Flowise? In theory this should work fine I think, the MaP rating would drop from 1000 to 800 but this should be adequate and if not then I can just take the brick out.

I'm reluctant to pay $50 more for a Flowise version. I doubt that the manufacturer would employ a totallly different bowl design and suspect some minor tank mod is all that is going on here...

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you get a Cadet that isn't defective you're ahead of the game...it has some issues on that front. It may not provide the desired results without a new flush valve. What you might see is that the bowl doesn't fill up to its proper full level since the flush is putting less into the tank, less will go into the bowl unless the fill valve today overfills it a bunch in the first place. So, what you'd notice is that you might need two flushes...the first fills the bowl up and the second really ends up flushing it. The balance between the tank and the bowl would need to be adjusted.

Reaction score
In addition, one would probably need to suspend the brick to get the reduced flush. A brick in the bottom of the tank might have no impact since the bottom of the tank probably doesn't empty anyway. Or it might have a smaller than anticipated impact if a portion of the brick extends up into the working volume. The volume that would need to be displaced is the working volume of the tank between the fill line and the level at which the flapper normally closes. But even this won't suffice if the flapper is designed on some sort of volumetric water passage principle rather than closing at a specific level. (I don't know if it is or not.)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks