How should I do this?

Users who are viewing this thread

SuperMatttheHero

Reaction score
Here's a picture to help show what I'm trying to do. The bottom of the picture is where lowest point is (where the pipe drops down and out to the sewer).

I understand that the Fernco flexible fitting shown is not allowed to be buried, nor is the 2" sanitary tee on its back as shown on the left. The 4" cast iron pipe near the top of the picture is connected to a sink and washing machine, as well as a tub.

How should I do this? I need to drain another sink and shower coming from the left with 2" pvc pipe.

Attachments

• DSCF0314.jpg
    DSCF0314.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 556

SuperMatttheHero

Reaction score
It will be a drain that also has a vent teed off of it (for a sink).

Had some bad luck using those "no hub couplings" from Lowes. The outside diameter of the cast iron pipe is different from the PVC, and causes the stainless steel sleeve to deform and pop as you tighten it. I will need to get some better "transition" couplings from a real plumbing store.

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
I just ordered a couple of the proper Ferncos from Grainger. I have a similar situation going between CI and PVC.

I guess that other line (left) is from the shower, correct?

You will probably need a cleanout at the base of the stack for the sink.

I'll let the pros help you on the details of the layout.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
You should sleeve it - the flexible foam pipe insulation will do.

Otherwise it rubs against the concrete as it expands & contracts whenever it changes temperature - good recipe for a leak.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Soldered fittings are not allowed under slabs.
Plumbers would loop soft copper up and put fittings above grade.

A double wye doesn't really work on the horizontal, the inlets need grade, which you can't do with that fitting.

Putting a combo, or wye with 45 up into the wall like Winslow mentioned is a good idea.

If you have cast that is 4-1/8" OD, then pick up some mission couplings that are cast to copper sizing.
A standard no-hub coupling may be too large with the smaller size pipe that is old.

Modern no-hub cast iron is 4-3/8" OD

When I'm cutting wyes into old cast pipe, I like to use cast no-hub wyes.

Last edited:

SuperMatttheHero

Reaction score
A double wye doesn't really work on the horizontal, the inlets need grade, which you can't do with that fitting.

Putting a combo, or wye with 45 up into the wall like Winslow mentioned is a good idea.

Thanks, I understood everything that you wrote except the above. Why doesn't the double wye work? I checked it with a level, and it is sloped more than 1/4" per foot. Does it need to be sloped more than that?

When you say "putting a combo or wye with 45 up into the wall", are you talking about replacing the double wye that I have there, or are you only talking about the curvy 1-1/2" section of PVC shown on the right?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I would be more concerned with what is happening outside the pictures as far as the drainage is concerned. Here, the double "Y" would not be a factor, BUT every inspector I have ever know, and every code I have ever read, does NOT permit solder joints under concrete, and since "brazing" the joints is a "destructive", and time consuming, practice, we NEVER make any joints in copper below the concrete.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
No soldered joints below or in a slab.
Double Wye fittings should not be used horizontally

SuperMatttheHero

Reaction score

Anything is possible in construction.
It's just that some things take more time and money.

Break some more concrete.

But why? UPC, chapter 7 states:

706.3 Horizontal drainage lines connecting with other horizontal drainage lines shall enter through forty-five (45) degree (0.79 rad) wye branches, combination wye and one-eighth [1/8] bend branches, or other approved fittings of equivalent sweep.

Why, if the code says it's OK, do you say that it's not?

Marty53

Reaction score
combo wyes aren't the same as fixture cross fittings like the one you have installed. just break up a little more concrete on either end of the 4" pipe, use a small section of 4" pvc to connect two 4x2 wyes together and install them

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks