Wax Seal

Users who are viewing this thread

George

Reaction score
I have a toilet that leaks at the base and was told that the wax seal needs to be replaced. I have a bad back and looked at Home Depot and Lowes for something like a toilet dolley to assist with the toilet removal and installation, however, they do not have any. Do you know where I could find one??

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
my honest to goodness suggestion? Hire a neighbours or friend's kid to give you a hand. You are going to want to make sure they can handle it, that sucker is going to seem heavy and slippery to someone not used to it, but a 15 year old should have no real problem picking it up for you (once the nuts are removed, of course!). Make sure the tank and bowl are as empty as possible, so you don't have extra weight or water sloshing out from the trap. Just have him straddle the bowl facing the tank and pick it up between the tank and bowl then shuffle slowly backwards with it - you can have a garbage bag or something of the like for him to set it down right away, and then gently tip it onto its side. Then my trick is to put a plastic grocery bag over the ol' hand and scrape that old wax off the base before setting the new one on. Pick it up and put it back on the same way it came off, maybe you can guide the bolts through the holes one at a time for him. Use new toilet bolts! As far as I know, there is not a dolly to assist with water closets, they are awkward as it is! ;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks