Kitchen wiring and code

Users who are viewing this thread

WallyGater

Reaction score
I am remodeling a kitchen in Brooklyn,N.Y. I will be running some new circuts for the counters. This is my question:

The counter top is 9 feet long. How many outlets must there be to meet the code requirements?

Also, how high up from the counter top do they need to be?

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Nine feet is all well and good, but what is on/in the counter? Sink? Cooktop?

Here is the rule of thumb:
Every individual counter space 12" wide or more requires a receptacle.
No spot on the counter wall space shall be more than 24" from a receptacle. This means 48" apart maximum.
They can be up to 20" above the counter.
They CANNOT be face up in the counter.
Islands and peninsulas have different rules.
ALL must be GFI protected.

I hope for your sake this is not a job you are doing for someone in NYC. NYC has some very strict codes and rules as far as licensing goes.

WallyGater

Reaction score
kitchen wiring

Thanks for the quick reply. From what I understand, each outlet must be on its own 20 amp gfi circuit.
also according to your rules of thumb, I can space them 4 feet apart. that would mean I could get away with just two on a 9 foot counter top. I would not need three unless the counter top was bigger than 12 feet.

Am I figuring that right?

Also you said no more that 20 inches high. I am assuming that you mean it can be lower than that, say 12 or 14 inches

Am I right about this?

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
From what I understand, each outlet must be on its own 20 amp gfi circuit.
No. Not unless this is a local requirement, and I have never heard this out of NYC.

also according to your rules of thumb, I can space them 4 feet apart. that would mean I could get away with just two on a 9 foot counter top. I would not need three unless the counter top was bigger than 12 feet.

Am I figuring that right?
No. Like I said, no spot shall be more than 24" from a receptacle. This means within the first 24" of any counter space then 48" apart thereafter.

Also you said no more that 20 inches high. I am assuming that you mean it can be lower than that, say 12 or 14 inches

Am I right about this?
Yes, anywhere from right at the counter level up to 20" is fine. I do 48" to be in line with switch boxes for visual continuity.

WallyGater

Reaction score
kitchen wiring

Thanks again for the replies. I think I got it now about how many and how high

You say that I am wrong about having each outlet on its own dedicated circuit. That would make a big difference in my plan

How can I find out for sure? Somehow I got this idea from this website. I was asking questions a while back about how many circuits are required in a kitchen and that was definitely one of the answers. I will try to locate that old thread and post it here.

This is a link to the old thread https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?32253-new-kitchen-circuits&highlight=

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You must have a minimum of 2 dedicated "small appliance" circuits for the countertops. The number of outlets attached to those circuits will depend on your needs and the requirement of meeting the 24" rule.

As a homeowner, I would want to see 3 evenly spaced receptacles over a 9 foot counter.

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
Unless Brooklyn has some weird local amendment I can tell you with 100% certainty that each recetpacle does NOT need it's own circuit. This is not an NEC requirement nor is it a NY Resi Code requirement.

No one in that thread is suggesting it is code to have each receptacle on a circuit. A couple were saying that the more circuits the better. It IS code to have at least TWO circuits serving the counter areas.

WallyGater

Reaction score
New problem

I would like to thank everyone for the replies.

I seem to have a new problem relating to that 9 foot counter top.
There will be a very large window in the middle. This window is about 5 feet wide, and will be from ceiling to just above the counter top. I`m not sure yet how far off the top it will end up, but I`m pretty sure that it will be in the way of any planed outlet there. Basically I will have 24" wall, 60" window, 24" wall, behind that counter top. Total of 9 feet. I hope I have described this well. There will be a sink centered on the window.

What would the rule be for this situation in regard to the outlets?

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
When you apply for your electrical permit, the code official will be happy to assist you by answering any questions that you may have. This way you won't risk getting fined or being responsible for damage to life or property since your job will be getting inspected.

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
I seem to have a new problem relating to that 9 foot counter top.
There will be a very large window in the middle. This window is about 5 feet wide, and will be from ceiling to just above the counter top. I`m not sure yet how far off the top it will end up, but I`m pretty sure that it will be in the way of any planed outlet there. Basically I will have 24" wall, 60" window, 24" wall, behind that counter top. Total of 9 feet. I hope I have described this well. There will be a sink centered on the window.

What would the rule be for this situation in regard to the outlets?
Well, this depends on how big the sink is. The sink is NOT wall space, but the window IS.
SO...if the sink is 24" wide that would leave 18" on either side as window. Then 24" of wall. One receptacle in each 24" wall space (within 24" of the sink edge) would satisfy code.
If this is the only counter area then EACH one would need it's own circuit. There can be other receptacles in the kitchen area on these two circuits, but two circuits must serve the counter area.

And Jar is right, always check with your buidling dept to see what the local codes are. You never know.

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
You also never responded to an earlier question. Is this a job you are doing for someone, or is it your own place?

WallyGater

Reaction score
yes this is a job I am doing with my friend, on his own house. He has a kitchen there now that we are giving a face lift. We are going to change the cabinets, top, and sink. We were hoping to update the electric while we were at it.
Thank you very much for the info, and very excellent answer to the window problem.

Enosez

Reaction score
yes this is a job I am doing with my friend, on his own house. He has a kitchen there now that we are giving a face lift. We are going to change the cabinets, top, and sink. We were hoping to update the electric while we were at it.
Thank you very much for the info, and very excellent answer to the window problem.

I hope for both you this is NOT a multi family dwelling..

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
I had a double window over my sink, same deal - over 4' wide
No room for any outlet as the window cam down to the counter top
The sink was 3' wide, so not a problem having an outlet so that a corded appliance could be on that counter

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks