(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Return bend only, for kitchen sink trap?

Default Return bend only, for kitchen sink trap?

Good afternoon all,

I am replacing an old metal drum trap, presently installed in a kitchen sink/disposer situation. The outlet from the disposer is about 3" above the horizontal trap arm. My problem is I don't think a standard PVC 1-1/2" p-trap assembly will work. It seems to me the trap will need to be lower (driven the disposer waste arm) than the existing copper DWV wants it to be.

So the question is - can I use a return bend (hub x hub) only as a trap? On the inlet side, I would install my own vertical tailpiece with a trap adapter, to attach to the disposer waste arm. On the outlet side, I would install a vertical run, with a 90 deg. elbow, followed by a run of horizontal pipe to the copper DWV.

Is this an OK installation? I am eliminating the normally-provided (in Home Depot) trap arm component of a p-trap assembly. Thanks for any replies.

Your description of the solution is very convoluted. IF the disposer outlet is 3" above the wall pipe, there is NO reason why you cannot use a standard "P" trap, assuming you do the piping properly.

Thanks for the reply hj. I will see if I can make a standard 1-1/2" PVC p-trap work.

TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP MACPLUMB 777's Avatar
    Blog Entries

they make and sell to diy ext. Tube pipes with a slip joint nut on top that will extend

into your standard p-trap that's how professionals do this kind of problem !

Do not " use a flexible " type extension they are not code legal and are

a stoppage waiting to happen

Last edited by MACPLUMB 777; 01-24-2010 at 06:56 PM.

MACPLUMB 777

JERRYMAC@TROJANWORLDWIDE.COM

35 YEAR MASTER PLUMBER, HEATING, ELECTRIC, DRAINS, FIRE SPRINKLERS, WATER HEATER
    AND BOILERS SINCE JAN, 1989

281-706-1631 7 DYS A WEEK SALES AND TECH. SUPPORT
    Trojan Worldwide Web Site