Tub Overflow Drain Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

dgibson32

Reaction score
I live in a corner, bottom floor condo unit. I recently used my hall bathtub and, for the first time, I filled the tub up past the overflow drain. While in the tub I heard a pop that sounded like an electrical short which had never happened before. After I drained the tub, I went into the laundry room which is adjacent to the bathroom and there was water on the floor. It was coming into the laundry room underneath the baseboards. The tub is directly on the other side of the wall. There was maybe two gallons of water that I cleaned up. There was no damage to the wallboard at all. It never even appeared to get wet.
Can someone tell me what might be wrong with the overflow drain? You can tell that someone has already worked on the drain because the metal cover isn't on straight and the bottom part of the overflow drain hole is exposed. It appears that they attempted to fill in the exposed gap with something like plumber's putty.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There could be a few things wrong with the overflow. The gasket could be deteriorated or was installed wrong. The overflow fitting itself could be to high or too low creating a gap for the leakage. The bolt holding things together could have cracked, but then the overflow plate should have fell off. I had one the other day that had all three of the problems.

dgibson32

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I want to have a plumber look at it but don't want to hear that the tub needs to be replaced.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks