(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Cast Iron Shower Drain Disintegrated

Default Cast Iron Shower Drain Disintegrated

I'm remodeling my bathroom. When I removed the shower pan, the drain pipe rusted off. Sand fell into the drain pipe. I can probably vacuum out. See attached picture . I have concrete slab foundation. Not sure what direction I should take on this. Should dig deeper to expose more of the pipe and repair? Or call a professional?

Thanks,

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have absolutely NO IDEA what the picture is showing, but at this point I think a professional is the best choice.

Sorry. Should have had a better picture. The picture shows what use to be the shower drain. The pipe was so corroded that the drain broke off when I removed the shower pan. What is sticking out of the sand is the drain. A little sand fell into the drain. Is there a way to repair myself? Can I do it without breaking up foundation.

I think the problem is that if the riser was in that bad of shape, the p-trap and further down may be bad too. Assuming the rest of the piping was okay, I would make the hole larger, dig down the the p-trap and replace the p-trapand riser with ABS or PVC. Then use a proper Fernco coupler to connect the plastic to the cast iron.

Since you don't know the condition of the rest of the plumbing, I would get a pro to come and take a look at it and see what he thinks.