No flange, just lead bent over floor

Users who are viewing this thread

Sophie

Reaction score
Hi all- new to the forum! Help- Pretty please!? Toilet is leaking down waste stack into basement. I pulled the toilet and there is no flange, just the lead "lipped" over the floor. Someone has cut a groove in each side to slip in the closet bolts but the lead just bends up under pressure. Sooooo my question is- should I just replace wax ring and screw toilet directly to floor(old school) or can I bend the lead up and screw down those half moon shaped thingies to hold closet bolts and bend lead back over? I guess years ago there were no flanges? Any input will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks a bunch!:confused:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the lead is intact, you can use a single wax ring with no horn.

For the bolts, you can use a repair ring.
If the lead is cracked, then you will need to replace the bend.

Replacing with ABS

replace_lead_bend.jpg

A repair ring, in case you stay with the lead.

redring.jpg

lead-bend-flange-fix.jpg

Here is a replacement flange that goes into 4" lead using a soft rubber sleeve. I cut down the extension so that it would not drop down too far.

Last edited:

Sophie

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. Off I go to Home Depot. I'm going to at least give it a try before I call a plumber. Thanks a bunch.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There was NO time when they did not have flanges, although there were times when "plumbers" did not want to be bothered using them. The proper way is to use a brass flange and solder the lead to it, but if you straighten the lead, then screw down a "repair flange" then roll the lead back over it, it will be almost as good. Just be sure the wax seal covers those two slots.

Sophie

Reaction score
It worked!! Bent the lead up and installed the flange and bent the lead back down. I did use some silicone between the lead and ring, just to be double sure. I will watch it closely for a while to make sure no leaks appear.Just want to let you guys know how much I appreciate the help. I figured I had the weekend to try and fix it and that I could always call a plumber on Monday. I know this kind of stuff seems simple to most but I feel like a freakin genius!! Ahhh the cute bags and shoes I can buy with the money I saved!LOL

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks