Update from Gen Resin Questions SST-60

Users who are viewing this thread

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
When one uses a turbolator in a tank one can get more resin in that same size tank
Say an 8x44 tank with turbolator I would put 1.0 cubic foot of resin, giving 10" of space between media and top of tank.
I would also have the backwash rate down to 2gpm on such a unit.

Now some may say that what I am doing is not right, but know this , I have been doing units this way for 20 years with 0 problems on units set up this way..

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
I did not start this thread, but rather Townan did with the opening line of Update from Gen Resin Questions SST-60.

I have no idea how I ended up replaying to it and ended up as the opening of the thread.

Towman

Many Hats, few paychecks
Reaction score
Thought I would update everyone.
I don't know if I should have added this as a reply or a new thread? Feel free to say so
https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?33856-General-Resin-questions
I tried flushing the fouled softener to no avail.
I decided to replace the resin with (sst-60) and replace the down pipe in the resin tank with a turbolator. This was not exactly recommended, but thought I might try it.
I was surprised that resin tank had no gravel bed in it, I know you don't use one with a turbolator, but thought you had to have a distribution bed otherwise.
There seemed to be a general consensus that I needed a bigger unit, but I will see how long this last.
It is working very well and I am extremely happy with the outcome.
If anyone decides to do something like this, I will say it is fairly easy. Just make sure the valve isn't bleeding hard water past the bed.
Anyone with further thoughts are appreciated.
Towman

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
With smaller diameter tanks gravel is not required for underbedding and is frequently not used. That said it is always good practice to use gravel underbedding so long as you are not using a turbulator.

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
A softener without a gravel underbed will have a higher pressure loss than a same sized softener with one.

There is no downside to a gravel under bed other than the few dollars for the gravel and shipping. Most of my competition do not include a gravel under bed regardless of the size of the tank. They also don't use the same size tanks and therefore they don't get the resin manufacturers' suggested minimum of 50% bed expansion during backwash which ruins resin.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks