Watts Backflow Preventer leaking from vent

Users who are viewing this thread

linty

Reaction score
On the supply to my Furnace there is a Watts 1/2" 9D-M3 Backflow Preventer With Atmospheric Vent just before the pressure regulator. The backflow preventer has been leaking from the vent at the rate of about 2 drops per second. What's the cause and what's the cure?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Backflow preventers leak because there is a backflow situation. Or was a backflow situation and now there is some crap under the seat.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Furnaces are hot air heaters so why do you even have a water supply to it. IF it is a hot water boiler, they usually do not need a BFP since the feeder/relief valve performs that function. However if the BFP is leaking it could be because there is a backflow, which is not likely (since the boiler pressure is LESS than the supply line so any leakage would be in the opposite direction and would cause overpressure in the boiler), or the valve has failed and needs replacement.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
code now requires a backlfow preventer on hydronic boilers. Usually it is in the form of a Watts 1156F-9D combination. And yes, because boiler system pressure is generally around 15 lbs, there has to be an extreme loss of pressure on the supply side for backflow to occur, plus, the S1156 feeder has a check valve in it also so the usual cause is crap under the seat of the 9D or the valve seat on the 9D is bad.

Innerbeast101

Reaction score
Help need back flow suggestions replace ,repair ,vent or no vent what should i choose

My church has a backflow preventer leaking i was going to straight pipe it and then i thought they might be tied in by a recirc line and i needed at least a check valve to prevent backflow but should i just replace the check valve do you think the vent will continue to leak and i notice some backflow preventers without a vent hole which one should i get

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks