pressure tank gurgles

Users who are viewing this thread

wukie

Reaction score
pressure tank gurgles - jet pump shutoff noises

I just replumbed my jet pump and pressure tank area due to pets cracking pipes. Now the pump runs and pressureizes the tank... shuts off at 51lbs and then the system continues to drain to 30 lbs when the pump starts running again. This cycle continues until I throw the breaker.

Upon further investigation I hear a low gurgle inside the actual pressure tank. One test I completely discontected the tank from the system at the union in the piping and could really hear the gurgling noise.

The system functioned properly prior to my pipe repairs. During this process I did move the tank about 2 feet closer to the pump for astetics.

I finally gently laid the tank back on the ground to check for any leaks and it is completely sealed and no leaks. There is a small constant drip coming from the pipe when I disconect the union.

So I am not sure what to do next and really hope the tank is ok.

Can anyone provide some insight?

Mike

added notes:
When the system does shutoff the pump makes a noise that appears to be draining pressure from the system. The gurgling is heard when everything it quiet. Additionall there is a presure gauge on the ery top of the pump. It looked broken as it was reading 100+ psi at the pump. When I took it off it registered 20 (while not conncected to anything). So I reinstalled it and the last 1/4 turn it shot to 100+ (max reading). The guage never drops during any time while connected to the pump.

It appears there is a leak but I cannot see a leak anywhere.

Anyone reading forums on Labor day :)

Last edited:

wukie

Reaction score
I finally installed a new check valve... everything is ok :cool:

Mike

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
First you need a new gauge. Second, you have a leak on the well side of that check valve, and replacing the check valve is like putting a band-aid on an artery. You are masking a possible serious problem, like a broken fitting holding your pump or drop pipe up in the well by a thread. If it falls off you have a real problem and no water for some time. Or a hole or split in the pipe. Of course the leak could be underground between the house and the well too.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks