high bacteria count

Users who are viewing this thread

pennsyscot

Reaction score
Just bought a new home. Well tested high for coloform bacteria. Inspection of the well pit revealed lotsa water, muck, trash and one bull frog. Water seeps through the concrete block of the well pit. The pit is well covered, so entry of debri should not be a problem in the future. Sometimes the water level is higher than the well head. I was planning to run electricity out to the well pit. Thoroughly clean well pit. Install an outlet. Break a hole in the concrete. Install a sump and pump. Remove well head. Shock with household bleach. Replace gasket. Install hose on vent to raise vent higher.
Am I headed in the right direction?
I don't know the depth of the well, can I add too much bleach when shocking?

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thanks, Scot

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If you have a cased well and the case is below ground you should have an extension put on to bring the well case above ground and a proper well cap installed.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
No, do not remove those 4 bolts. Loosen only.

If you remove them the bottom halves of the steel plates the rubber seal is in between falls down the well and can jam the j-body for a 2 line jet pump or a submersible pump from coming out.

Yes you can put a piece of PE or some such tubing on the breather fitting and extend that so water can't run into the well if the pit gets water in it high enough to go down the vent hole.

The best fix is to extend the casing 12+" above ground. And maybe adding a pitless adapter below the frost line and a submersible pump.

Don't expect shocking to get rid of a Coliform bacteria problem in an old well like this. Retest like 7-9 days after the chlorine smell is gone. That will tell you if the contamination has returned as it probably will at some point. Retest like every 6 weeks for a year and if no bacteria then every 6 months. You should also test for nitrates and nitrite.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks