(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: high bacteria count

Default high bacteria count

Just bought a new home. Well tested high for coloform bacteria. Inspection of the well pit revealed lotsa water, muck, trash and one bull frog. Water seeps through the concrete block of the well pit. The pit is well covered, so entry of debri should not be a problem in the future. Sometimes the water level is higher than the well head. I was planning to run electricity out to the well pit. Thoroughly clean well pit. Install an outlet. Break a hole in the concrete. Install a sump and pump. Remove well head. Shock with household bleach. Replace gasket. Install hose on vent to raise vent higher.
    Am I headed in the right direction?
    I don't know the depth of the well, can I add too much bleach when shocking?

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thanks, Scot

Previous member

If you have a cased well and the case is below ground you should have an extension put on to bring the well case above ground and a proper well cap installed.

No, do not remove those 4 bolts. Loosen only.

If you remove them the bottom halves of the steel plates the rubber seal is in between falls down the well and can jam the j-body for a 2 line jet pump or a submersible pump from coming out.

Yes you can put a piece of PE or some such tubing on the breather fitting and extend that so water can't run into the well if the pit gets water in it high enough to go down the vent hole.

The best fix is to extend the casing 12+" above ground. And maybe adding a pitless adapter below the frost line and a submersible pump.

Don't expect shocking to get rid of a Coliform bacteria problem in an old well like this. Retest like 7-9 days after the chlorine smell is gone. That will tell you if the contamination has returned as it probably will at some point. Retest like every 6 weeks for a year and if no bacteria then every 6 months. You should also test for nitrates and nitrite.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Default Well Bacteria Fix

To All,

I have just posted a new method of killing well bacteria that may be of interest. Please see

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/show...a-fix&p=305995

Look for my post near the bottom of the page. There are too many related threads to monitor, so please post any questions or replies to that thread.

Thanks,

Mike Monett
    Last edited by Mike Monett; 07-13-2011 at 09:33 AM.

You need to be careful suggesting your solution when health related bacteria are present as in this case. You have not tested your 'device' for the removal of Coliform bacteria or E-Coli etc. etc..

Frankly I wouldn't suggest it, use it or sell it.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.