(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outside faucet has wrong thread size (pipe threads vs hose threads?)

Default Outside faucet has wrong thread size (pipe threads vs hose threads?)

I just moved into a 3-4 year old house that has an outside faucet that does not have hose threads on it. It appears to have pipe threads which while the same diameter are much finer that the normal outside hose threads.

I've talked to a plumber and apparently there should have been an adapter which was something like an anti-syphon or vacuum device on these threads which would have the normal hose threads on one end.

I can't reach the previous owners to see if they have this part, and no one who I've talked to can tell me where to go buy an adaptor which would take the faucet from pipe thread to hose thread. I really don't want to spend the money to have a plumber change the whole faucet...but that's what it seems I might have to do.

Any ideas where I can get an adaptor or something like this?

Thanks...Dan

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

Maybe here: http://www.woodfordmfg.com/Woodford/...es/model50.htm

What kind of mustang do you have? I can't wait until I get back into one.
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida

What you are probably looking at is someone has removed 1/2 of a vacuum breaker. The rest of it is locked in place with a setscrew which you will have to drill out. How about a pic?

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

Pix puhleeze.
    I just post cuz I like to see my avatar.

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
    Read what the end of this sentence means.

Here are a couple of pics of the faucet and a close up of the threads. The items provided in the links provided above won't work in that they have hose threads on both ends.

I need something that has a female pipe thread on one end (has about 6-7 threads over ~3/8" or so) and a male hose thread on the other end.

Thanks...Dan

By the way...whoever gave me the nice Mustang pic for my ID...thanks! Someone asked about what I have...I have a '65 G***0 fastback (white with blue stripes) and a '94 triple black Cobra convert. We leave for the Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour this Sat (hotrod.com) in Madison WI. Check it out! (end of shameless non-plumbing discussion).
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

Contact Watts; tell them their website is useless as well. They have the vaccum breaker you're after, I just couldn't find it.

Those are called straight thread vaccum breakers that prevent any type of direct connect hose connection to the faucet without having a vaccum breaker in place.

In Kentucky they've made this requirement code, and by all means, it's about 25 years too long in the waiting.
    Read what the end of this sentence means.

Default faucet

Change the faucet and then put a hose vacuum breaker on its hose thread.

Last edited by Terry; 06-18-2011 at 08:42 AM.

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NiceMustang View Post
    By the way...whoever gave me the nice Mustang pic for my ID...thanks! Someone asked about what I have...I have a '65 G***0 fastback (white with blue stripes) and a '94 triple black Cobra convert. We leave for the Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour this Sat (hotrod.com) in Madison WI. Check it out! (end of shameless non-plumbing discussion).
    Terry has been known to sneak in and put pics in the avatar.
    Nice little stable, especially the cobra. I just got rid of a '04 Mach1, competetion orange and will hopefully be getting a terminator at some point in the future. That or a friend of mine builds kits to drop 5.4 32V out of navigators into the SN95-New edge stangs. 400hp NA with a mild build.

Have fun and good luck on the Hot Rod Tour, just watched the special with Chris Titus on the '02 Tour the other night, hadn't seen it in a while. Which ride is going on the tour?
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

What you have there is an Arrowhead sill cock that someone removed the vacuum breaker off of it. You can call around your local plumbing supply houses and tell them you need a arrowhead fine thread to 3/4 hose thread vacuum breaker.

Last edited by Terry; 06-18-2011 at 08:43 AM.

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

Here is the link to their vacuum breakers, the part # you would be looking at if you scroll down is 58BFP http://www.arrowheadbrass.com/op_cha...0/95/0/0/0/0/0

Last edited by Terry; 06-18-2011 at 08:43 AM.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have one on order from Arrowhead...I'll let everyone know if it works!

Really appreciate the time you've taken...this is a great site!

Dan...

I should have closed this off before but better late than never. The adapter from Arrowhead worked perfectly. While they did send me the wrong part on their first try (hose thread to hose thread) on the 2nd time they got it right (hose thread to fine thread) and didn't charge me for their mistake.

Thanks again for all who've helped me on this!

Dan...

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the update.
    In case you others are wondering what happened, the threads on the hosebib were straight cut, meant for a vacuum breaker connection.

That meant contacting the manufacturer for a new vacuum breaker that matched the threads.

Or, the other option would have been complete replacement of the hosebib.
    Most plumbers would have done that, so they could make the repair in one trip.
    Travel time is a bear.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

One thing you can notice on the threads is the remnants of some thread sealer. WHomever unscrewed it worked hard at it, as that thread sealing compound makes it really hard to unscrew anything attached with it. To prevent accidentally removing the adapter when you take the hose off, you might want to consider putting some threadlock compound on it. The red stuff is a lot stronger than the blue stuff, but either should work. There's actually a bunch of different compounds. You don't want it TOO strong, or it is a real bear to remove if it ever needs to be replaced in the future.

Last edited by Terry; 06-18-2011 at 08:44 AM.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014