No return/pressure flow to well

Users who are viewing this thread

Foglifter

Reaction score
I recently have replaced my deep well two line jet pump and tank. The old bladderless tank had been leaking anyway and came home to find the pump had been running all day. Thought it was a good idea to replace the pump also after this.
So now after doing the leak down test on the system...bladder tank set at 28psi...assuming pressure switch set 30/40 from factory, we have to turn pump on and off at the breaker box or the pump will run on. Then it never gets above 32psi.
What I think is happening is the water is not getting returned to the well and all the pump is doing is pulling.
Where do I go from here? Am I out of the DIY and need a pro now? (The Wife is starting to blame me for the issue now)

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If the jet is in the well, and it most certainly is if it is a two line system, a couple of things could be going on here.
One, the jet that is on the end of those 2 lines, has to be matched to the pump. Two, the jet that is on the end of those 2 lines
has some rust or other crap in the jet. Finally, you have a suction line leak somewhere.

Foglifter

Reaction score
I've thought there might be rust clogging up something since the the old tank was steel,
So what am I into as far as pulling the lines up out of the well? I have to assume it's 100 ft, don't actually know.
Thanks for your reply. It's a pain in the backside to turn the power on and off when we need water.

Also, what is this doing to the new pump?

B

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I won't lie to you, pulling the jet stinks. It's not so much the weight of the thing as it is the aggravation of getting the cap off
without snapping the bolts, but maybe you will get lucky. Do NOT take the bolts all the way out. Just loosen them up and pry the cap off. While you have the whole drop out you might as well replace the foot valve at the same time. Get a quality brass one, not the el-cheapo plastic kind. Once the whole mess is out it would be best to get the jet that matches the new pump rather than mess with the old one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Foglifter

Reaction score
Sounds like a fun day in the Indiana winter. I can replace parts but I'm guessing 300 or more pounds to lift out? Is there some form of winch or is this something that calls on brute force alone?

Foglifter

Reaction score
We bought the house about 20 yrs ago and if it was mentioned, I don't recall now. Most wells in the area are shallow, so I wouldn't think it's over 100'. I can probably recruit a couple bodies, weather permitting.
I really appreciate you taking the time to answer mine and others questions, very generous of your time.

B

Last edited by a moderator:

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Get some help and pull the jet assembly. There is trash in the nozzle of the jet. Taking the jet assembly apart can be a bear. You must first unscrew the Venturi (right hand threads). Then remove the nozzle using a 3/4" long socket wrench. Clean the 1/4" hole in the nozzle and everything else, then replace everything, reprime and if nothing gets in the jet you're good to go. The jet assembly is what builds the pressure not the pump. Anytime you disturb a jet pump system you take the chance of plugging the nozzle. If you had pressure before, I don't see the need in replacing the jet assembly.

Peter Griffin said "Once the whole mess is out it would be best to get the jet that matches the new pump rather than mess with the old one." He's right but if the existing jet is clear of debris it will work fine.

Don't worry about the wife when you get it working again you'll be a hero. If you don't you'll be an Idiot! Believe me, I've been married to my great wife for 54 years.

Porky Cutter, MGWC
Google "porky cutter" for my stories!
www.dci-inc.us

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
We bought the house about 20 yrs ago and if it was mentioned, I don't recall now. Most wells in the area are shallow, so I wouldn't think it's over 100'. I can probably recruit a couple bodies, weather permitting.
I really appreciate you taking the time to answer mine and others questions, very generous of your time.

B
If you have PE pipe, it's easy to pull the 2 lines down to like 150' which is usually the max depth for a 2 line jet pump. If you have galvanized or sch 40 PVC, you have to take that apart as you pull it and that can be 21' pieces so you have to be able to hold on to the rest without it falling down the well.

I agree with getting the right j-body and jet for the new pump you bought, it does make a difference and yours is at least 20+ years old. So I'd replace it and the foot valve. And any galvanized pipe or fittings.

Foglifter

Reaction score
I'll take all advice under consideration. I think I'll have to take a good look at everything when I get it pulled. Makes plenty of sense not to fix it if it isn't broke but, there is peace of mind in knowing it's all new and likely last another 30-40 years.
I'm betting on galvanized pipe all the way. That's what comes into the house anyway. Plan for the worst and hope for the best, kinda thing.
You guys are alright, Thanks.

B

Foglifter

Reaction score
I can do that, LOL!
Gonna be a couple weeks though, with my work schedule. I will also have to dismantle a portion of our deck to get to the well cover. I didn't mention that part.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks