Does anybody know "American Standard" date code????

Users who are viewing this thread

alex7

Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to date my claw foot tub (made by Standard) but instead of a normal date stamp it has a mumble jumble of letters. I was told that "american standard" at some point had a code with letters that corresponded to months and years.
The stamp reads:
JB
FH2

I was told the 462 is the serial number and the letters the date.

Thanks!

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Honestly, I have never heard of this letter code before. You would have better luck looking for a date under the lid of a toilet tank than a bathtub.

and if it is a code for a date, my guess would be 1924, (its just a guess)

How old is the house where it was found? You can base your date up to 1 year before the home was completely built. You would have a better sense of a timeline

alex7

Reaction score
We do not know exactly how old the house is. From clues we think it is from 1890 to 1910. The original toilets to the house have wood boxes for tanks so there are no lids with stamps. One of the toilets looks "high end" and has a beautiful blue stamp with the name of the model and the mfg co but no date. I found people online that they have tubs as back as 1907 stamped with very legible stamps. I am out of luck with this letter stamp. Somebody on line told me about the code. We will trace the deed of the house just do not have the time right now.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
So if you had a wooden tank close to the toilet bowl, it would be after 1910. In 1910 they started moving away from elevated water tanks This would give you a starting point.

A liitle history:
contrary to urban legend, Sir Thomas Crapper did not invent the first flush toilet. It was invented in by Sir John Harrington, godson to Queen Elizabeth I, in 1596 . It wasn't patented until 1775, by Alexander Cummings

alex7

Reaction score
The toilet tanks are high up close to the ceiling with a long pull chain.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Hmmmm.... Then its safe to suggest pre 1910

Now getting back to your code. I don't think that American Standard would even know what the codes would be , unless they looked in their historical archives

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks