grinder pump clogging up

Users who are viewing this thread

Rburt5

Reaction score
My father has a grinder sewage pump to get sewage from his basement up into his sewage tank. A garbage disposal, dishwasher, high efficiency washing machine, and a toilet (that doesn't get used very often) all drain through it. The basin for the grinding pump keeps getting plugged up with a thick, white, gooey substance that keeps the float from working. His plumber (who installed it) doesn't know why it's happening. He says he's never seen it happen before. Any ideas?

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
The gooey substance is more then likely grease. With the kitchen sink draining into it, it needs to be cleaned on a regular bases.

John

Rburt5

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I asked him about kitchen grease, and he doesn't think that's it. It's not a greasy kind of goo. It's chunky and gooey. He said it's almost the consistency of pie filling. I forgot in my original post that he also has a water softener that runs through it.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
That's what grease looks like after being in cold water.

John

sherriberri18

Reaction score
Sewage Pump Clogging

rburt5...did you have any success figuring out what was clogging the pump? We are having the exact same situation here, with the pump in the basement. Our tenants tell us that they aren't dumping grease down the drain, but what's clogging it is a thick, white, gooey substance. My husband thought it could be toilet paper or perhaps residue from powdered laundry detergent, but our plumber has no idea. This is the second time this has happened, and we're getting tired of rummaging around in our tenants' sh** tank, as you can imagine. Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks