(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: grinder pump clogging up

Default grinder pump clogging up

My father has a grinder sewage pump to get sewage from his basement up into his sewage tank. A garbage disposal, dishwasher, high efficiency washing machine, and a toilet (that doesn't get used very often) all drain through it. The basin for the grinding pump keeps getting plugged up with a thick, white, gooey substance that keeps the float from working. His plumber (who installed it) doesn't know why it's happening. He says he's never seen it happen before. Any ideas?

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar

The gooey substance is more then likely grease. With the kitchen sink draining into it, it needs to be cleaned on a regular bases.

John

Thanks for the quick reply. I asked him about kitchen grease, and he doesn't think that's it. It's not a greasy kind of goo. It's chunky and gooey. He said it's almost the consistency of pie filling. I forgot in my original post that he also has a water softener that runs through it.

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar

That's what grease looks like after being in cold water.

John

DIY Junior Member sherriberri18's Avatar

Default Sewage Pump Clogging

rburt5...did you have any success figuring out what was clogging the pump? We are having the exact same situation here, with the pump in the basement. Our tenants tell us that they aren't dumping grease down the drain, but what's clogging it is a thick, white, gooey substance. My husband thought it could be toilet paper or perhaps residue from powdered laundry detergent, but our plumber has no idea. This is the second time this has happened, and we're getting tired of rummaging around in our tenants' sh** tank, as you can imagine. Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions?