GE Refrigerator Ice Maker Water Supply Issue - sprays water into ice cube bin

Users who are viewing this thread

NiceMustang

Reaction score
We have a 5 year old GE refrigerator (model PSB42LGRWV) and are on a well. We moved in a few months back and put in a whole house water filter which is working very well. The water system in the fridge also has a filter which we are changing regularly. The ice maker wasn't working, so I changed out the solenoid which controls the water feed to the door water and the ice maker. I still couldn't get any water to come out of the tube that shoots water down onto the ice maker tray.

I then disconnected the water line that runs from that solenoid to the top of the heated pipe that goes from the upper area (where the compressor is) down through the top of the freezer to shoot the water out above the ice maker tray. This flex tube was 99% clogged with sediment which I cleaned out with a little hand drill (had to be scraped). I then checked on the water flow through this tube and it was great after I cleaned it.

I then looked at the heated pipe that this tube is hooked up to and it also appeared to be clogged. I drilled that out too as the hole was pretty small and I wanted to ensure I didn't have to rip this thing apart again. Water flowed through this w/o any issues at that point too.

I thought all was well so I buttoned it all back up, but now the ice maker water is flowing TOO well. It actually shoots water out not only into the cube tray (its making ice just fine) but also splashes water into other areas of the cube bin...which then freezes the auger and builds up a mass on the cubes. Argh!

So, my question is (thanks for reading to this point) did I mess up by drilling out that pipe which runs from the water line down to above the tray? Was that supposed to be a smaller hole to restrict the water so it doesn't splash all over? Also, there seems to be an unused part that might tie into this. There's a rectangular plastic part that looks as though it should collect water and drop it into the tray. Maybe there is supposed to be a pipe that runs from the heated tube down into this "collector" or something? Maybe its just not used on this model. Maybe the previous owner also had this issue, and didn't put a part back together (I can't find a parts diagram)?

Any help is appreciated...thanks...Dan

Attachments

• Slide3.jpg
    Slide3.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 6,322
  • Slide2.jpg
    Slide2.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 2,368
  • Slide1.jpg
    Slide1.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 6,925
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks