Submersible Pump Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

rfbecker

Reaction score
I have a 3" well that was plumbed with a twin pipe 1 hp 110V Goulds jet pump. My neighbor has convinced me to install a 1 hp submersible as I plan on adding an irrigation system in the near future. I have installed the 3" sumersible, ran a new 220 V 20 amp circuit, and replaced both the bladder tank and pressure switch. The problem I am having is that the pressure switch cuts on and off continuously until the aerator is full and then the max pressure is maintained. I can adjust screw #1 on the pressure switch to raise or lower the pressure, but is still cuts on and off constantly. There is not a 20 psi drop in pressure like the box says. Screw #2 on the pressure switch does not widen this gap no matter how far I screw it down. I thought it was a faulty pressure switch, but I have replaced that three times today (Besides, the pressure switch worked prior to making this pump change). I thought it was a faulty bladder tank but replaced that also. I have adjusted the pressure in the tank to 28 psi for a 30/50 switch many times. I was told by the plumbing guru at the ACE hardware that the bladder tank was too far from the pressure switch. I have since moved it to within a couple of feet of the pressure switch. Please help. I have spent almost a thousand dollars already and have done nothing but screw up something that wasnt broke.

Pumpman

Pump Sales
Reaction score
What size is the piping that the pressure switch is mounted on?
I'm thinking that you are gettings loads more water (at higher pressures) from the submersible than you did from the twin pipe setup.
Also, what size is the new bladder tank?
Ron

rfbecker

Reaction score
I am getting much more water than I was before. I was reducing the pipe from 1-1/4 to 3/4 in close proximity to the pressure switch. Once I extended the 1-1/4 farther down the line and then reduced it, my problem was solved. I got the idea from reading another entry on this site where a guy was using a 1/2 line out of a 1 hp Sears pump. The problem was that the abundance of pressure created by the new pump was causing the pressure switch to cyle on and off rapidly.

This web site allowed me to look like a hero to my wife and daughter.

Thanks.

Pumpman

Pump Sales
Reaction score
Glad to hear that the problem is solved.
It's never a good idea to reduce pipe size between pump and tank. As a rule I always run (at least) the same size pipe as the pump discharge port from the pump to the pressure tank, and past it, if possible.
Ron

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks