Basement tub dap out question

Users who are viewing this thread

jasonal119

Reaction score
I am in the process of finishing our basement and have already roughed in for a full bath and had it inspected by the local building department. We have also replaced the concrete but have left a dap out or "hole" approximately 12x12" where the tub drain and overflow assembly will connect to the drain. The question is whether the hole needs to be filled in and/or topped with concrete at any point in the installation process, or if it can just be filled with the gravel that came out of the hole in the first place. Is some form of concrete "cover" required by IRC or UPC?

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
In our area we a required to cement the opening. The main reason is for termites. It makes it hard to do repairs on the trip waste but we have to deal with it.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cover

Our inspectors also require that it be capped with concrete, but they tell me it is to keep the gophers out of the house. We also have termites but concrete just slows them down.

jasonal119

Reaction score
I am using an inexpensive "lift and turn" style drain assembly on this tub as that style was used on the other tubs in the house... How far down do I need to be with the top of the concrete under the tub?

Thanks for the help!

jasonal119

Reaction score
Thanks John... not to sound stupid, but I want to make sure I understand... Do I set the tub and then reach in through the wall and put the concrete in then that way?

Thanks!

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Thanks John... not to sound stupid, but I want to make sure I understand... Do I set the tub and then reach in through the wall and put the concrete in then that way?

Thanks!

You got it. At one time we were required to use tar. That made a real mess, but it also did a better job sealing the opening from termites.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks