Floor drain in laundry room

Users who are viewing this thread

red22769

Reaction score
I tiled the floor in my laundry room today, and while doing so cut a hole in the floor for a 2" floor drain in case the washing machine drain backs up.

This is not a common occurance, but it has happened 3 times in the past 3 years, and it will ruin the new ceiling I am putting in when I finish the basement if it happens again....

My plan is to tap the line into the line that between the laundry tub, and the washing machine wall drain. Does this floor drain require a P-trap?
Or can I just 90 from under the floor to the WYE fitting I will be installing between the 2 current connections.

There is about 18" between the 2 connections in the attached photo, which is where I plan to tap in for the floor drain.
(The laundry tub is very rarely used)

(The washing machine drain is getting redone as well!)

Attachments

• Doc3.jpg
    Doc3.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 904

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
ALL drains require a P trap. These prevent sewer gases and odors from entering the house. You will have to refill the trap with water as water in an unused trap will evaporate.

sneezye

Reaction score
If you're connecting the floor drain to the same line that your washer is on, if your washer drain is clogged, so will be your floor drain. Unless I'm misunderstanding your plan...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks