Booster fan

Users who are viewing this thread

moisheh

Reaction score
We have a house with a bedroom over the garage. The house is well insulated. Furnace is a mid efficiency 10 years old , same as the house. The ducting is ill designed. We can remove the basement ceiling and redo some of the ducts but it is still a long run up to that bedroom. I am thinking of repalcing the furnave with a 94% efficiency DC fan motor unit. Would it be possible to install a booster fan in the large duct that feeds that bedroom?

THanks

Moisheh

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First thing I'd try to to ensure all of the joints in the ducts are sealed so they don't leak. Then, if you don't have any dampers in the system, you might install them t oforce more air where you want by partially blocking off those areas that get plenty or too much. A new, higher efficiency furnace won't resolve your issue if you don't make any changes to the ductwork. Tighten it up, then see what happens.

Hube

Reaction score
I second the good advice given by Jadnashua.Try slightly dampering down a few of the rooms that have good air flow. Note the word "slightly". By doing this it will send more air flow to this problem room. When dampering down, make sure you mark the starting point of the dampers handle position so that you can put it back the same way just in case this method does'nt work out. (but I think it will)
Also has this problem room have any RETURN air. Return in a room is just as important as the supply air. You can only put in as much supply air as there is return air coming out of it.

moisheh

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Presently there are no dampers in the ducts. We are going to redo some of the duct work and try and run a more direct duct to the problem area. At the same time we will install dampers.

Moisheh

moisheh

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Presently there are no dampers in the ducts. We are going to redo some of the duct work and try and run a more direct duct to the problem area. At the same time we will install dampers.

Moisheh

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks