PVC coupler

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott99

Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm replacing my PVC pipe that feeds my irrigation system. It's the PVC piece that comes from the anti-syphon valve and goes into the ground then elbows out.

I want to replace just the exposed piece with copper. No problems with getting the copper into the ground with a copper elbow and short stub with a female fitting on the end.

my plan was to use connect to the copper with a threaded male PVC end that has a short piece of PVC tubbing attached. then use some type of coupler to attach that end to the pipe feeding the irrigation system.

Are slip couplers or compression couplers reliable for this? It will be underground so I won't see any tiny leaks. if so which one is better?

Attachments

• pvc-expansion-coupling.jpg
    pvc-expansion-coupling.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 236
  • compression-coupling-fitting.jpg
    compression-coupling-fitting.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 245

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Both of those are fine. Why are you going to all the trouble of kluging in one piece of copper?

Scott99

Reaction score
thanks for the reply.

I just had a PRV installed and replaced all the shutoff and anti-syphon valves. the original spinkler PVC had to be cut from the anti-syphon and a new section just coupled to the top of the old that was sticking up about 2 feet out of the ground.

I can see a bit of a flex/stress in the old PVC after it was secured to the new setup. It's been painted but exposed to the elements (SUN) for 15+ years so I was going to try to be proactive and replace it before it decided to crack.

Since I was going to replace it thought it would be better to just go with copper.

Scott99

Reaction score
thanks for the reply HJ. but I guess I'm not sure how to incorporate a PVC nipple into this. I take it one end would thread into the female copper end but what about the other end?

whould the other end thread into a female adapter that is glued to the slip coupler?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks