HELP please- sewer house trap?

Users who are viewing this thread

dian683

Reaction score
Okay- we've built a brand new plumbing system into our newly redone house, and here is the question- what is the order- do you have your sewer, then AIR VENT, then TRAP to the house, or is it sewer, TRAP, AIR VENT to the house?

If anyone knows this answer, please tell me ASAP!
Thanks

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Each fixture has to be trapped prior to it's drain. The vents are in the drain lines after the trap. Think of the traps you are aware of. A sink's trap is directly under the sink and goes into the wall where it connects with the drain. The vent is connected to the drain inside the wall. A toilet's drain is part of the structure of the toilet, but it works the same way.

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
If I'm reading this correctly, you're wanting to put a house trap in. Since each fixture is individually trapped a house trap isnt necessary. If I've misunderstood, I apologize.

dian683

Reaction score
NYC rules are that you have a trap right before your street connection- and we are wondering where the vent goes- before or after the trap? Is that a little easier to understand?

Thanks for your responses so far- as I am sure you noticed, I don know a whole lot about plumbing!!! :)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If there has to be a trap for the entire drain system right at the main sewer connection, I don't think you need to vent it. Perhaps someone familiar with NYC code can further clarify this.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
vent

Seems to me that from the street to the house to the 4" stack through the roof is a perfectly proper vent.
Don't belive house traps are used any more in Michigan, but when they were
they were called fresh air vents and extended to the outside of the building.
They could also be used as a clean out and you could get a SPARTAN or KOLLMAN/RIGID sewer machine to clean roots out without needing to go inside..........

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

When I have come across house traps, they have not been vented, but if you need one, I assume it would be on the building side to prevent positive pressure in the line which would cause drainage problems. MORE important than the vent would be access to the two sides of the trap, because it will make snaking the line impossible, and it will be the source of most plumbing drainage problems.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
trap

Back in those days we had what they called a "spoon" that helped in making the cable go toward the street....Yes it sometimes wouldn't work.
A lot of these house traps were also inside with the vent comming up and then to the outside.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks