Old metal box for light switch. Replace or is it OK?

Users who are viewing this thread

Andrew21

Reaction score
Hey all,
Tore out my walls to redo my bathroom and saw the electrical that I've never seen before. Its not something I'm familiar with. Should I take it out and replace it?

thanks

andrew-outlet-01.jpg

andrew-outlet-02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That was common before plastics became more prevalent. The insulation gets brittle so if you have to move things around, it could be a problem but otherwise should be okay. Didn't notice if it had a ground, but if it doesn't, and you can run new stuff with grounds, then I'd consider it. You'll probably want to replace the switches and receptacles, and that will flex the wires which may have the insulation of the exposed ares just fall apart. You'll know once you start to move things.

Andrew21

Reaction score
Thanks Jim.

I was planning on adding another switch for recessed lighting and another circuit for a bathroom fan.

Wire is cheaper than the headache down the road. I'll see where it all starts from and go from there.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Those boxes are not put together properly. They left the side plate on the one on the left. If you are adding a switch I would definitely replace it with a new 3-gang plastic nail-on box.

Andrew21

Reaction score
Definitely!! I will rip that out. That is horrible and I'm going to put in a bigger box for more stuff. :)

I was more concerned about that wire.

Bpetey

Reaction score
That wire has been in my house for 90 years. With that said, any time I have a chance to rip it out and replace it with new wire that has a ground I do it. You have everything exposed now, so do the job right and put in new materals that are actually being used in the last few decades.

Andrew21

Reaction score
That wire has been in my house for 90 years. With that said, any time I have a chance to rip it out and replace it with new wire that has a ground I do it. You have everything exposed now, so do the job right and put in new materals that are actually being used in the last few decades.

I know. I was scared when I saw that for the first time. I thought it was aluminum wiring!!!

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
I hate triple boxes
I use dual switches instead, in one quad box I have a triple switch
I also replace the old wiring in the house whan I open a wall
I figure ~60 years is good time span for existing, & another 60 years for new stuff will outlast me

The triple has a 3rd switch in the middle

l1754-001-i-ea-2.jpg

l5243-i-10pk-2.jpg

Last edited:

Andrew21

Reaction score
Got it Scuba Dave.

I have to post more pics. I found something interesting opening up more of the walls. I'll take pics this afternoon.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
switches

With those double and triple switches, you had better have a large enough box for the wires they need. especially if that double switch is a double three way, which it looks like since it is not labeled On/Off.

ilya

In the Trades
Reaction score
That wire has been in my house for 90 years.

I suspect that wiring from 1920 was all knob-and-tube. The single wire stuff, sometimes not even color coded white for the neutral.Held in place with two piece ceramic "knobs" with a nail thru them, and protected by "tubes" when it passes thru timbers. Splices twisted and soldered, then taped-no box! I have Cushing's "Standard wiring for electric light and power" copyright 1919, and it's fascinating.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks