Heating oil tanks

Users who are viewing this thread

mike32

In the Trades
Reaction score
I purchased my home last year, and it has oil heat, there are two 275 gallon tanks, they are indoor tanks located directly next to each other. The problem i have is that last autumn i called to have them filled, only to find out they are connected to each other the wrong way. The fill pipe goes into both tanks and there is a vent on each tank. The vents are connected together and exit thru the foundation to atmosphere. When the fuel guy was here he stopped fueling and said the tanks were full, when actually, only one tank was full and it was the tank on the end of the fill pipe, and fuel was coming up and out of the furthest tanks vent, so the whistling/rumble sound stopped, in essence that indicates full tanks.Which leads me to my question. To remedy this should i remove the vent from the furthest tank and connect a solid pipe from the vent hole to the other tank? I realise both tanks need sufficient venting for flow of fuel and pressure build up.

I checked for clogged or backed up piping, all piping is in excellent working order with the exception of the issue mentioned above.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks