(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: say a little prayer tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    Two words....Pearl Harbor.
    The US looked at the problems in Europe as their problems but as in all things there is a tipping point...

I guess we didn't jump when England snapped their fingers...

Who else was going to help to the extent we did...tell me of all the other country's that sent Ships, Planes, and men like the US????

Or was it only the Capitalistic Horrible Americans that could help you out of your plight...

I'll tell you this...if we were a country like all the others we wouldn't have been there to the extent we were...

we might not have been there at all...
    Last edited by Cass; 01-16-2010 at 05:45 AM.

Two words....Pearl Harbor.

That means it was your War as well. Or were you ready just to let that one go? I don't recall seeing any American troops in Europe before that.

$100 million of Federal Funds announced two days after would have helped. Just like for Haiti.

All of this help IS political.

Glad you think Americans suffering on someone's watch is OK. Your Government has an easy time of pleasing its voters doesn't it? People die and you're lining up to vote them in again.
    I suspect you may be one of those people that nothing pleases them...nothing is ever good enough...

I agree about it all being political...but how could you possibly think it wouldn't be...when governments are involved every thing they do is political regardless of party...

Why are you always slamming the US...to the exclusion of other countrys like your own...or is England doing a bang up job...How many ships, planes, and troops are on their way there now from England...

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

200.000 dead so far.

The death there before this event was disturbing due to the corrupt government and its dismissal of its own people.

That number above is going to go way up as the ones currently there are not prepared to deal with such dangerous health risks involving the death of others.

The fast burials are done to prevent the spread of disease.

Before this happened, 1 in 10 had access to potable water, water that you can drink.

How in the world do you go into a situation like this, help care for the sick and dying, then at some point reverse your course and allow the existence of these people to return back to where they was...because the billions of dollars that was pumped into this country by the United States has not afforded much in the times prior.
    Read what the end of this sentence means.

Haiti was a fourth world corrupt and morally bankrupt country before. The aid forthcoming might raise them to third world.

Chew on that for a while!

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

Who else was going to help to the extent we did...tell me of all the other country's that sent Ships, Planes, and men like the US????
    Technically, we were helping the French (who were occupied) and you were helping them and us (never occupied) help them.

Which is funny, because the French helped you from us. But we forgive and forget. I wish you would do the same with Cuba.

Haiti is a good start though. The inflows of aid they are getting are sure adding up which, tragedy aside, might just put the country on a better footing for those that do survive.

How many ships, planes, and troops are on their way there now from England...
    $16 million and countless men. It's not even "one of ours". http://www.dfid.gov.uk/Media-Room/Ne...ti-Earthquake/
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 01-16-2010 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Haiti was a fourth world corrupt and morally bankrupt country before. The aid forthcoming might raise them to third world.

Chew on that for a while!

Correct....and we (US) are going to have to cut and run when death count subsides.

It's a country that cannot be fixed with the 1000's of years of corruption and squander upon its people.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar Plumbing View Post
    I'm doing my part for this event...built a website for those who need it for locating family members.
    Got a link?

Extreme DIY Homeowner Scuba_Dave's Avatar

It's time to stop supporting corrupt Govts IMO
    Of course it happens everywhere to a degree

2006:
    Haiti has been ranked as the most corrupt country in the World by Transparency International (TI), followed by Burma and Iraq
    DIY Handyman (not 4 hire)
    I have enough to do to my own house

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
    Got a link?

Not until it is 100% built.

Which is funny, because the French helped you from us. But we forgive and forget. I wish you would do the same with Cuba.
    You will have to take that up with the Cubans that have taken refuge here because it is mostly that lobby that has pressured the US Gvmt. to do what they have been doing...Fidel is a 3rd world dictator and I can't figure out why you like him...

I do know that birds of a feather flock together...

It is nice to see England is helping out....

I think where the ball gets dropped is when country's receive $$$ to help them get back on their feet, is that it never gets paid back...

I am not talking about humanitarian help...

I had a customer whos family in Cuba had a large thriving buisness in sugar cane...When Fidel over throw the Gvmt. Fidel then took his familys land and home and threw them into the streets...

they were able to make it here....

Fidel seems to be very likeable to some I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    They are projecting 50,000 + dead and you guys are arguing the politics? Like humanitarian efforts are a right or left thing.
    What he said!

Correct....and we (US) are going to have to cut and run when death count subsides.

It's a country that cannot be fixed with the 1000's of years of corruption and squander upon its people.

Haiti wasn't a country 1000 years ago. Not even a colony. Just an island with maybe a few indians (all gone, now...) living on it.

BTW, RE Tsunami funding - isn't the missing Tsunami money all aid given to local governments? AFAIK, the NGO's like doctors without borders, red cross & so on don't have these issues.
    Master Plumber Mark:

there is nothing better than the
    manly smell of WD 40 in the air
    while banging away on brass with a chisel and hammer...

it smells like......victory......

do not hit your thumb...

Did you read the above frenchie, or did your snopes account lead you to not caring about the bold statement above...

and now you have the gall to dismiss the "missing money" as someone else doesn't do those sort of things.

Once again, you always ride the wrong side of normal thinking just to get a point across. Predictable though from the times I've seen.

So ignore the situation when the time comes that the help has to leave, ignore that for a fact that country is riddled with corruption.

You rarely offer much to the discussion of reasonable thinking.