(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Any risks to merging two 3/4" copper water supplies? (using T fitting)

Hybrid View

DIY Junior Member

Default Any risks to merging two 3/4" copper water supplies? (using T fitting)

Im splicing in another water filter in parallel to existing filter (to double velocity).

Does anyone foresee any problems (performance or otherwise) with merging two copper water supplies into one using a T fitting?
    That is, one supply will come into the T from the left and the other supply will come in from the bottom.

Thanks for your input.
    Jim

It will roughly look like this when done:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

What are you trying to filter out? Cartridge filters are generally bad news as they harbor the growth of bacteria and must be replaced constantly. A backwashing filter is almost always more appropriate. If you need more filtration, it's time to start finding out why rather than just adding more filters.

i don't use copper on well lines. You can do that if you want...
    Thanks,
    Taylor Allen

DIY Junior Member

Still looking for an answer -- can anyone advise?

Quote Originally Posted by cacher_chick View Post
    What are you trying to filter out? If you need more filtration, it's time to start finding out why rather than just adding more filters.
    Sorry you are confused -- perhaps the diagram is not clear that I'm adding a filter in parallel. As you probably know, doing so does not increase filtration, but will increase velocity (which is my goal).

Quote Originally Posted by RTAPlumbing View Post
    i don't use copper on well lines. You can do that if you want...
    Why are you assuming the well is copper?

The house was built in 1969. The whole house is copper except the well.

Are you suggesting I hire a plumber like yourself to replace all the copper pipes in the house? Do you believe that is necessary? (Though it would be profitable for you.)

I see no problem except the the new filter will receive more flow that the current filter as there is a shorter path on both sides of the filter. To better balance, you could bring the feed between them with a tee and use an elbow for the new filter. Then do the same on the outlet side.

With the current layout, the new filter may need to be replaced before the other filter as it will be a greater % of the flow (difference may be small, though).

DIY Junior Member

Thanks much. I was guessing that too -- maybe I'll just T them off evenly (but that's adding more right angles which impact flow).

The restriction in flow due to the 3/4" T's will be negligible compared to the restriction from the filter itself. Balancing the piping on both sides is the ideal way to do it, although likely a minimal difference as well.
    Last edited by jastori; 01-15-2010 at 07:06 AM.